Help with purchase decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was open to be the first one to open his wallet and take a leap of faith if D6 gave me a good discount. I even told them directly. But they only offered 10%.

So, no risk from their side, means no risk from my side.

They could have even used me as a market opener. But who knows... maybe they don't see Puerto Rico as an opportunity...
Profit margins are lean. Why do you think they would forfeit profit? They are a proven product but being a small company they expand slowly. They've recently grown into Hawaii.

Profit margins are lean. Why do you think they would forfeit profit? They are a proven product but being a small company they expand slowly. They've recently grown into Hawaii.
It is called market penetration. Since there is no existance of Deep6 here in Puerto Rico, I was trying to ask for a better deal in order to use, demo, maybe start removing the fear on the brand.

If they dont get the products in the hands of the local consumers, they will never be able sell locally.

So for me, it was a request for them to get me a deal and for me to put my money and trust in them.

I wasnt asking for free stuff.

At the end, I had the money. I ended up buying 2 sets of a "known" and way more expensive brand. Because I was able to try them out, I liked them, so I bought them.

And hey! I have nothing against them. I am actually considering buying their Eddys and other products. But for regulators, that is something that may need to wait until I can try them and learn to service them (since no LDS will service a D6 here)

It is called market penetration. Since there is no existance of Deep6 here in Puerto Rico, I was trying to ask for a better deal in order to use, demo, maybe start removing the fear on the brand.

If they dont get the products in the hands of the local consumers, they will never be able sell locally.

So for me, it was a request for them to get me a deal and for me to put my money and trust in them.

At the end, I had the money. I ended up buying 2 sets of a "known" and way more expensive brand. Because I was able to try them out, I liked them, so I bought them.

What makes you think you are so special and/or are the only one who has approached them on this from where you are from? Maybe they already have "market penetrators" lined up and outfitted, maybe your market is not where they are currently concerned about expanding to yet. A business needs to balance expansion with production capability among other issues...the global supply chain has been struggling and aspects of the dive industry has been hit hard, it could be that it is not safe from a business perspective for D6 to expand, so they may not be interested in hooking you up. Just sayin'.

-Z

What makes you think you ate so special and/or the only one who has approached them on this from where you are from? Maybe they already have "market penetrators" lined up and outfitted, maybe your market is not where they are currently concerned about expanding to yet. A business needs to balance expansion with production capability among other issues...the global suupply chain has been struggling and aspects ofnthe dive industry has been hit hard, it could be that it is not safe from a business perspective for D6 to expand, so they may not be interested in hooking you up. Just sayin'.

-Z
You beat me to it.

Are you even an instructor? You think you really have that much influence? And how many regs have you used? With few exception, you would have been happy with almost any reg major brand on the market.

You were not asking them for free stuff, but you were asking them to make zero income, possibly take a loss, on the iota of a chance that you would garner them further sales. Discounts is how you trust people/products? Do you have that approach to training? Do I understand you correctly here?

You should understand that Deep 6, by going direct to consumer and training consumers if they wish to service their own regs, is disruptive to dive shops. That's one reason why people are so resistant. You said it yourself, you spent a lot more money. Even without taking that 10% discount, you would have saved yourself a fair bit of money, BUT you would have to ship back to the mainland to get servicing. I don't know about what "adjustments" you are expecting to need. I've never needed any on any reg I've owned. I have had services redone from shop monkeys who screwed up. Got tired of this, so service myself now.

From what I have seen, it seems like Deep6 has had some trouble filling the demand they have had.

If they can sell all the product they are able to get, at normal price, in their existing market(s), what incentive would they have to sell into a new market, for no profit? I suspect they need to turn all the profit they can right now, to keep the business running and have a hope of eventually being able to afford to ramp up production and then eventually supply additional markets.

Some people seem to think any given manufacturer can just go from making 1000 units to 2000 overnight, like it's no big deal. A spigot of products, where you can just open the valve some more and have more product flowing immediately. And that is not how it works.

Small businesses die just as often from trying to expand too quickly as from not expanding quickly enough.

What makes you think you ate so special and/or the only one who has approached them on this from where you are from? Maybe they already have "market penetrators" lined up and outfitted, maybe your market is not where they are currently concerned about expanding to yet. A business needs to balance expansion with production capability among other issues...the global suupply chain has been struggling and aspects ofnthe dive industry has been hit hard, it could be that it is not safe from a business perspective for D6 to expand, so they may not be interested in hooking you up. Just sayin'.

-Z
I couldnt agree more. What I can vouch for is that as of today, there is 0, none, nada, no one using D6 regulators in Puerto Rico. If we are not their market, cool. If they have people in line, cool. If they dont want or can expand more, cool. I dont know and have no way of knowing.

I dont consider myself "special" and dont want to be. It was a request that I made for taking what I considered a risk. If you dont agree, you dont have too.

This is a market of try and buy. Everyone shares their experience and make their purchase decisions based on that.

As mentioned before, they are great guys, they seem to have good products, and I will support them by buying some of their other products. End of my discussion regarding this. Since it was not the main purpose of the thread.

@scubapr1705,
I was not privy to your conversation and I am not affiliated with D6 other than a great personal phone conversation I had 6 months ago pr so with Landon (one of the owners).

Not saying you didn't, but if you did not, perhaps approaching the subject with D6's owners/management from the angle of how you can be of benefit to them in helping introduce their product to the market where you live instead of implying or insisting that a discount to you would be of benefit to them, it might have or could possibly be fruitful for both you and D6.

Asking for a discount while implying that it might benefit them without any discussion of the bigger picture for the company, comes across as single sided in your favor...everyone wants a discount...

...perhaps you had some altruism behind your request, or perhaps you just wanted a lower price on gear, that's for you to embrace and mull over, and it doesn't matter to anyone else. What is relevant is you decided to air the issue here on SB, which was counterproductive to having folks perceive you as an influencer, which from your previous posts in this discussion is something you seem to want to be.

Think about that; no need to respond to this.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom