Help with planning a Coz dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I start to plan a trip to Cozumel, probably in mid-February.
Have you checked the dates of Cozumel's Carnival festival? I think the expected dates are February 23 – March 2, 2022, so any bookings close to then may be challenged.

I have never thought in that in the 20 plus years of renting cars in Cozumel I was getting “shafted”. I also never paid $600 a week either! I have always liked having a car.

ive been fear factored into getting every insurance they have for fear of having some big dude as a cellmate if there are any issues.

I have never thought in that in the 20 plus years of renting cars in Cozumel I was getting “shafted”. I also never paid $600 a week either! I have always liked having a car.

IMO, if you are staying in or close to town, a rent car is more a liability than an asset.

I've stayed at Blue Angel and liked it. Similar to Villa Aldora, it's a small resort right on the water with a pool, pier, onsite dive shop with tanks for a nice shore dive. You can use their dive op or someone else can pick you up at the pier. There is a restaurant onsite and you can put everything on your room to have an AI feel. It's a short taxi to town and many find it walkable, especially in February. Should be less expensive than the previous two options.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. Drrich2, your previous research and the thread you linked to was awesome! I've been looking at Blue Angel and I think this might fit the bill perfectly. Wifey will like the pool and the location. And I like the price! Much cheaper than AI resorts, and I like that we have the option either to eat onsite or to head into town with just a short cab ride or a nice walk. The onsite dive op is also a very nice plus.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. Drrich2, your previous research and the thread you linked to was awesome! I've been looking at Blue Angel and I think this might fit the bill perfectly. Wifey will like the pool and the location. And I like the price! Much cheaper than AI resorts, and I like that we have the option either to eat onsite or to head into town with just a short cab ride or a nice walk. The onsite dive op is also a very nice plus.
Blue Angel is my hotel of choice as well. My family has been staying there since my mom and dad discovered it in 1982. It's the goldilocks choice between cheap and expensive, in town and out of town, rustic and hoity toity, etc. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. I wish I were there now.

Iberostar food is putrid. Main pool is a cross between your local public pool on Jul 4 and a pool on a cheap cruise ship. Otherwise perfect.

I've been looking at Blue Angel and I think this might fit the bill perfectly. Wifey will like the pool and the location. And I like the price! Much cheaper than AI resorts, and I like that we have the option either to eat onsite or to head into town
It is indeed a nice little hotel. I've stayed there a few times over the years. Some complain about the road noise as it is right on front street, but I never noticed it. Turn the AC up.

There is some enjoyable shore diving to be had there. Just swim around the stingray prison next door, then head south-southeast along the shore looking under the coral heads and even in the errant tire. Just stay close to shore to avoid boat traffic.

The upstairs restaurant & bar includes live entertainment some nights, but you'd want to beat the crowd on those as they are popular.
The onsite dive op is also a very nice plus.
It can indeed be handy to have an Op on site.
with just a short cab ride or a nice walk.
I'll agree on the short cab ride, but not the "nice walk." It's 1.7 miles to the ferry dock at the downtown plaza, the heart of the town, 1.1 miles to the Mega superstore. Just relax and leave the driving to the taxis.

upload_2021-7-29_20-8-16.png

I'll agree on the short cab ride, but not the "nice walk." It's 1.7 miles to the ferry dock at the downtown plaza, the heart of the town, 1.1 miles to the Mega superstore. Just relax and leave the driving to the taxis.

View attachment 673646

Lol. I guess it’s relative to what we’re all used to. I have two very energetic dogs, which, in addition to running with me each morning and other activities, go on daily walks. The short ones are at least 2 miles and a regular walk is around 3. So 1.7 miles each way doesn’t seem like much. But yes, we’ll be on vacation and there to relax, so we will be taking cabs plenty I’m sure.

My $.02

just pay the taxi. Unless you stay Waay south and need to be in town a few of times a day or plan to spend your vacation driving the island all day like a soccer mom, what are you going to pay for a taxi? $40? $50? Car rental is certainly more.

Relax, enjoy not being responsible for driving here. If you’re going to take a heart attack over a few bucks, you probably otta stay home.

+1 for Blue Angel.
If you must have AI, BA offers an AI plan for meals. You get a free breakfast with their standard room booking though. It is a great breakfast too!
My morning routine is to go to the restaurant that overlooks the ocean and have coffee and a light breakfast while I wait for the BA Dive Op's fast boat to pull up to the BA pier. The BA Dive Op loads all my gear, so all I need to do is walk over to the pier and get on the boat and go diving! They have some of the best DM's and Instructors on the island too.

I do not think it includes booze (I am a non-drinker so I never inquired). The onsite restaurant at BA is very good IMHO. I have special dietary needs and they always accommodate me.

I have stayed at the Palace (never again...), as well as the privately-owned condos at Residence Reefs in the south for the sandy beach stuff. Regardless of where I stay, I always use a taxi to shop (provision) and for going to and from town. Taxi's in Coz are dirt cheap IMHO. I have a friend who owns a taxi on Coz and I literally text him and he arrives within minutes to pick me up, even when I stay in the south.

Here's his info:

Emmanuel Caamal
+52 987 117 1083

Facebook: Emmanuel Caamal (emma) Feel free to FB Message him
Emmanuel Caamal

Back
Top Bottom