Help with planning a Coz dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever been to Mexico? You know that used toilet paper goes in the trash, not the toilet. The cleaning lady empties that for you tho. Except, the last time I stayed there, I did have a toilet problem and told the owner that I had been doing that, and she said "that's gross." They were new owners and may not have understood that then. Take some baking soda to sprinkle on used paper if you want.

Your wife can use the balcony as a Widow's Watch and look for you leaving and returning.

Yup. We're both seasoned enough travelers to have been to plenty of places where the plumbing and sanitary systems are decidedly less robust than in the States. Spending a month in Nepal will make many other destinations look quite luxurious.

10 % deductable?
So you are responsible for 10% of the total cost of the damages?
10% of the value of the car if stolen or totaled?
10 % of the cost of the damage to the other vehicle?
10% of the lost rental income while the car is being repaired?
10 % is open ended and unlimited
How is this "full coverage"?

The deductible applies to the Collision insurance, which is the car being rented. The other car would fall under liability. Those VW bugs are barely worth $500. It's not much different anywhere else. Most CDW's have deductibles and exclusions for what they cover.

I understand that's it, but those VWs aren't worth much. Of course, we all trusted Margarita but now wonder how their kids will run it.

It appears to me that their FB page is way more active than before and they seem actively interested in maintaining the image that Margarita built. A recent post confirmed the VW bug is still $35/day.

10 % deductable?
So you are responsible for 10% of the total cost of the damages?
10% of the value of the car if stolen or totaled?
10 % of the cost of the damage to the other vehicle?
10% of the lost rental income while the car is being repaired?
10 % is open ended and unlimited
How is this "full coverage"?
We had an accident that was my husbands fault. 10% of collision damage to the Isis car left us with a bill of $15. I can live with that!

And I still say for $35 you don't have every insurance offered.

This article is pretty good about explaining things... im telling you guys I've been fear factored into buying every insurance.

I don't even pay $650 per month on my car and insurance every month :/

Renting a car in Mexico: What you need to know

This article is pretty good about explaining things... im telling you guys I've been fear factored into buying every insurance.

How about you saying exactly what insurance offered that you don't have with ISIS? I'd prefer to be fact-factored not fear-factored. Maybe going to Coz is too risky for some?

I also put more stock in my personal experience and the knowledge of locals I know over the generic canned advice of a columnist.

The accident my husband had was covered with the insurance Isis offered. The liability was covered 100%, with the 10% deductible for collusion, it cost us $15. out of pocket. Margarita, the late, great owner even came to the police station to help resolve the situation. Customer service at its best!

How about you saying exactly what insurance offered that you don't have with ISIS? I'd prefer to be fact-factored not fear-factored. Maybe going to Coz is too risky for some?

I also put more stock in my personal experience and the knowledge of locals I know over the generic canned advice of a columnist.

You're right perhaps. Perhaps i don't understand how insurance works in Mexico and i don't know how they'll decide to selectively enforce the laws there.

So again, fear factored into buying insurances that might not be necessary.

That being said, Ive basically eliminated the south end for future trips. This last trip long story but was a credit from last year.

I don't think your issue was buying too much insurance but booking a corporate rental through a website. Try using smaller local places with word of mouth reputation. ISIS isn't the only one you'll find recommended on scuba forums and FB pages. I usually send ISIS a whatsapp on my phone saying I'd like a vw bug and give the dates. Often last minute after I'm there. And they say great, see you then. No bookings. No pre-payments. Nothing formal. Last May, I sent a text on Thursday night around 9pm to see if I could get one next day at noon. Didn't expect a response til morning but ten minutes later Angel replied yes, see you tomorrow. Btw, Angel is the guy usually working the shop and will make sure you can reach him on his phone and says if you have any problems, call him any time and he'll come and take care of it.

I don't think your issue was buying too much insurance but booking a corporate rental through a website. Try using smaller local places with word of mouth reputation. ISIS isn't the only one you'll find recommended on scuba forums and FB pages. I usually send ISIS a whatsapp on my phone saying I'd like a vw bug and give the dates. Often last minute after I'm there. And they say great, see you then. No bookings. No pre-payments. Nothing formal. Last May, I sent a text on Thursday night around 9pm to see if I could get one next day at noon. Didn't expect a response til morning but ten minutes later Angel replied yes, see you tomorrow. Btw, Angel is the guy usually working the shop and will make sure you can reach him on his phone and says if you have any problems, call him any time and he'll come and take care of it.

Love that, its just like how I book my scuba. Through a divemaster friend, send a text, 'see you on the dock next week. '

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom