Help with compass purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here ya go. I leave mine on my hand. Again, not a lot of forearm real estate, especially with a Perdix on right forearm.
View attachment 463839

Important subtle point for those reading along who are a little uncertain about their compass work:
Note in Marie's photo where the window lies. It's NOT where the standard pics of using a wrist mounted compass would suggest, with your arm at right angles to your direction of travel.

With the window in line with her arm, she can navigate with her arm fully extended, getting the advantage of a slate-mounted or console-mounted compass being extended far in front of you. This is one advantage of a bungee: you can mount 90 degrees out of the alignment that would obtain if you used the wrist straps. But with wrist straps you are looking down at your compass, and it is very close to your body (and other possibly ferromagnetic material, like your steel tank). Also, it is less stable as you look down to check heading, look up to check direction, look down to check heading, etc., etc. Extending it away from you is the way to go for accuracy.

That means a slate, a console, or @Marie13 's nice bungee arrangement for an extended arm! Very cool!

I've owned and used the same Suunto SK6 for over 20 years. Although I have used many other compasses, the SK6 is still my favorite and the one I always go back to. All the other DGX stuff I've seen is very nice, especially for the price, and I wouldn't be surprised that their compasses are good too. Personally I'd go with the model with the lowest profile.

Okay so I’m in the market to get a compass for my diving. I narrowed it down to 3 choices but can’t really decide which is the right choice.

The three I have in mind are

Sunnto sk8
Suunto SK8 Compass

DGX deluxe pro
DGX Deluxe Pro Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

DGX tech
DGX Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

Price isn’t deciding factor for me as I want something that’s reliable and will last years. This will be for 95% shore dives over the next year or so. I could probably go without a compass but would like one to use and to add another element to diving.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dive on,
Nick

A side window in the Suunto and in the Deluxe model is a nice touch:
Note that e.g. parallax (two eyes) makes it difficult to read a compass close by. It is better to stretch an arm and watch "along the arm" into the side window of the compass...

They may call some compass a "tech" version but unless it has a side window it is useless in my not so humble opinion.

Do not get the inferior "tech" version if you really need to keep an accurate bearing.

I went ahead and got the delux pro compass from DGX and without any dives so far it looks to be good. A little bulky but I was able to get a heading on land and follow it even with a significant tilt on the compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom