Help with compass purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve read the sk7’s had a problem with a bubble formation and it caused problems. I haven’t seen this in the sk8 reviews I’ve read is it still a concern?

I have never heard of this and have been using an SK7 for a handful of years.

What does happen, is that if banged around in use or transport, dropped, etc...the top of the capsule can develop a crack. The crack causes the magic suunto fluid (mineral oil, glycerin, who knows) to seep out and form an air bubble. Over time the bubble get bigger until it affects the compass card from turning properly as the air allows the capsule to compress.

This has happened to my wife's SK-7 which she prefers on a retractor. My SK-7 is on retractor as well and I will passing it on to her. I decided to move my compass to the back of my hand vis-a-vis a bungee mount....I found it less expensive to purchase an SK-8 in a bungee mount than to purchase a bungee mount for the SK-7 and a new capsule for my wife's setup.

I am kicking myself though because when I came across the SK-8 in the bungee mount in the dive shop in the Netherlands, I had totally forgotten about the DGX tech compass and the fact that I have somethings I wanted to order from them. I could have picked up 2 of them for not much more than the cost of the SK-8.

I posted in the Suunto forum awhile back complaining about how fragile the Suunto SK compasses seem to be....hopefully the SK-8 lasts.

Treat your compass the way you would treat your dive computer and other gauges and it should last nearly forever (assuming you treat them like precision instruments).

-Z

Last edited:
@Zef that’s what I was talking about.

Seeing I’m a little rough on my gear (I can be clumsy) I will probably buy a DGX deluxe and get the sk8 as a gift next month for my bday. That way I can have a backup in my save a dive kit.

Thanks for all advise much appreciated and that’s why I love this forum!

Dive on,
Nick

I much prefer bungee mount. I put my compass on the back of my hand, just where a hand mounted light would go. I find it much easier to nav that way, than with it on my wrist.

I also don’t have a lot of real estate on my forearms, especially with a Perdix on right forearm.

I have been very happy with my DGX Tech. I bungee mount it on the back of my right hand and it works well for me, as far as convenience of being able to actually see it out in front of me. I think I would not care for the higher profile of the Pro (or SK8). Especially when mounted on the back of my hand.

I have been very happy with my DGX Tech. I bungee mount it on the back of my right hand and it works well for me, as far as convenience of being able to actually see it out in front of me. I think I would not care for the higher profile of the Pro (or SK8). Especially when mounted on the back of my hand.

Do you by chance know how many degrees of tilt before the compass card stops moving freely on the DGX Tech? I briefly looked at the website earlier today and did not see it listed. There Pro model is listed at 30 degrees of.

-Z

This will be for 95% shore dives over the next year or so. I could probably go without a compass but would like one to use and to add another element to diving.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Dive on,
Nick

I mainly use my compass when shore diving--don't need one for drift-diving from a boat. That SK8 looks like very nice quality. My old Ikelite eventually fell apart but my ex-wife's still looked like new with about the same number of dives (3000-4000). I replaced my compass element with a Chinese oil-filled compass that I got for 78 cents and it fit perfectly and works great. I have an old Sherwood that came with some other stuff and it still looks like new and is probably over 30 years-old. I have an old Dacor and the oil leaked out. I refilled it and it seems OK so far.

I also much-prefer to have my compass on a console rather than my wrist but either way works.

Do you by chance know how many degrees of tilt before the compass card stops moving freely on the DGX Tech? I briefly looked at the website earlier today and did not see it listed. There Pro model is listed at 30 degrees of.

-Z

I do not. I also have not ever noticed any real trouble with it binding up when I'm using it. IOW, whatever it has seems easy enough to keep level enough.

Reactions: Zef
Can someone show a picture of it on the back of the hand? I’m not sure how this would work. And do you usually store it on wrist while not using it?

No direct experience with any of your choices, however I prefer the DGX pro style.

You probably don't recall, but I use the Oceanic version of this. I wear it on all dives, and use on most, and always on shore diving. I have a lot of headings in my noggin.
I find it easy and quick to reference.
Mounted on LH, dc on RH.

Can someone show a picture of it on the back of the hand? I’m not sure how this would work. And do you usually store it on wrist while not using it?

Here ya go. I leave mine on my hand. Again, not a lot of forearm real estate, especially with a Perdix on right forearm.
579CC8B6-7337-4337-BD7B-5A11F64BE077.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom