Help with compass purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay so I’m in the market to get a compass for my diving. I narrowed it down to 3 choices but can’t really decide which is the right choice.

The three I have in mind are

Sunnto sk8
Suunto SK8 Compass

DGX deluxe pro
DGX Deluxe Pro Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

DGX tech
DGX Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

Price isn’t deciding factor for me as I want something that’s reliable and will last years. This will be for 95% shore dives over the next year or so. I could probably go without a compass but would like one to use and to add another element to diving.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dive on,
Nick

@tbone1004 I’m a little stuck on wrist compass for now I think it’s logistically better for my diving style.

Of those 3 I’ve only used the Suunto and have found it does the job perfectly. Even having students use them every day they hold up well and never have issues.

Whatever one you choose make sure you use it regularly so you don’t forget how to use it.

Looks like you have done your research. When I was in your position, I got the impression the venerable Suunto SK8 was sort of the standard against which others are compared. But it's expensive. And other house-brand equipment I have bought from DGX seemed to rival the name brands. So I bought a DGX Tech for my wife, and a DGX Deluxe Pro for me. I think they both work great. The Deluxe Pro has the side window and is therefore a little higher in profile.

Of all the compasses I've used with students, the Suunto SK series have worked quite well. It is more forgiving when tilted, which new compass users tend to do while diving. The SK is fairly easy to read. Another decent compass is XS Scuba's Highland Navpro compass.

If you want accuracy a good navboard is the way to go, but it is more cumbersome.

I have and love the Suunto SK7. I wouldn't own any other wrist mounted compass. But that's just my personal opinion...

I use a compass on just about every dive and for many many years. For me a compass on the wrist in less than I deal and one on a console less so. I use on retractor that is clipped on my lower left bcd d ring. Out of the way but easily accessible when needed. The advantage of the compass on a retractor is that you can extend further away from your body for better reading and taking of your bearings. My two cents.

I’ve read the sk7’s had a problem with a bubble formation and it caused problems. I haven’t seen this in the sk8 reviews I’ve read is it still a concern?

any of the three.....

I have a SK-7, and my daughter has the DGX Tech.
If I had to replace mine, I likely would save the money.....

Back
Top Bottom