Help with a video camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I've got this old VHS camera sitting around, and I'm thinking that maybe I can either find a housing for it or build one.

This is actually a "Sears" model VHS camcorder, and it's huge... The kind that sits on your shoulder normally. I believe it is an "Lxi" model, but that's all I know. I have not been able to locate the actual manufacturer of this camera, such as JVC or Panasonic or Sanyo, certainly a company that made this camera, but allowed Sears to rebadge it and sell it as their own.

The camera's quite old, and I wouldn't get too bent about it if something happened to it, so I'm thinking that the most useful purpose for it would be to stick it in a housing and allow Raven and I to film ourselves underwater doing DIR skills... Like class, only more presonalized. :)

Anyway, other than the obvious "sell it" or "get rid of that monsrosity," does anyone have any suggestions? My preliminary searches on the internet have not turned up a housing for this camera. Anyone have any ideas? How to build my own housing? A source for used or outdated housings?

Also, I understand that underwater photographers recommend against allowing the camera to auto focus. Is this true? What's the recommendation, then? What about backlight or other settings on the camera?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know didley squat about video camera and such but I have a friend who makes his own video housings. Gary Dagastine's housing plans use a few tools and PVC pipe.

I really appreciate it.

His housings don't appear to fit a full-size VHS camcorder, but I've emailed him and we'll see what comes of it.

This just might be the answer I've been looking for... I really appreciate it!

I'm still open to other suggestions as well, just in case anybody has any... :)

with trying to get that old VHS into a housing. I doubt that there is any such animal out there for your cam. I will almost guarantee you will not be happy. I've been shooting UW for some time now. I started out with a Sony TR81 Hi8 in an Ocean Quest housing designed specifically for that cam. It had all electrical controls (no mechanical through-the-housing controls; =possible leaks) It did a fine job for me, but I wanted BETTER. I then went to a Sony VX1000 3 chip digital cam and put it into an Amphibico housing. Outstanding!! Now I want BETTER again. I'm now seriously thinking of getting a Sony PD 100 cam and put it into an Amphibico housing designed for that cam. My point is---don't wast your time. VHS is the lowest form of video signal. You will lose 20% picture quality in the first generation copy; probably more if your cam is as old as you say it is. You will not be happy. If you really want to get into UW video, do your homework. There are really some fine affordable cams and housings out there that will do you an adequate job. I would definitely go digital especially if you want to do any editing. The new cams are much better with important elements such as white balance, color saturation, etc. The other important element in UW video is lighting. If you want "true" video, you will need on-board lighting. "True" meaning color and image. For shooting panaramic scenes, filters are a must if you don't want a "blue" scene. If you tried to invest all of time and $ into an old VHS cam and a do-it-yourself housing, I feel you will be in for a very frustrating experience. PS. Auto focus on a video cam for UW (or any purpose) is not good. The cam. will always be searching for the focus and may "pulse" from in-focus to out of focus as you are trying to tape a scene or critter. This is irritating to watch.

Barracuda2

Hey, I use a TR-81 still. I love it for the most part.

I was going to stay out of this one because I didn't want to sound discouraging, but I have to agree with Barracuda2 on this one. You wouldn't be happy with something about it. You may be ok with the pic quality if you're just using it to study yourself, like some golfers study their swing. But I can almost assure you that with a camera that size, you'd look like you were shooting an IMAX film. The housing would be a monster and would be HEAVY. I have a friend that has a digital sony with a light and motion case and 2 lights. He had to rig a makeshift bouyancy compensator (styrofoam rings) around the light arms to make it as neutral as he could because alone it was just a strugle to deal with and was tiring to deal with.

You can find great deal on ebay as you all know. I found another TR81 for less than $100. So now I have a spare if mine dies, or breaks, or (yikes) floods.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Hey, I use a TR-81 still. I love it for the most part.

I was going to stay out of this one because I didn't want to sound discouraging, but I have to agree with Barracuda2 on this one. You wouldn't be happy with something about it. You may be ok with the pic quality if you're just using it to study yourself, like some golfers study their swing. But I can almost assure you that with a camera that size, you'd look like you were shooting an IMAX film. The housing would be a monster and would be HEAVY. I have a friend that has a digital sony with a light and motion case and 2 lights. He had to rig a makeshift bouyancy compensator (styrofoam rings) around the light arms to make it as neutral as he could because alone it was just a strugle to deal with and was tiring to deal with.

You can find great deal on ebay as you all know. I found another TR81 for less than $100. So now I have a spare if mine dies, or breaks, or (yikes) floods.

Norcladiver:

I still have 2 TR81's that work in every way except playback mode.
I shot scenes and played back on a Hi8 VCR and they look fine. I don't have a clue as to the problem. If you're ever in need for a backup or parts, give me a shout. I also still have my Ocean Quest Housing that's just sitting in storage in my basement.

Barracuda2

I do want to get into editing and all. I would like most of all to be able to create .mpg files with my camera.

I would most be interested in something that was inexpensive (not because of the price but because of the risk... I don't want to have much liability) and would do a fine job creating video for the internet.

I figured that any old camera would do, but I really like the idea of the digitals... Anyone have any suggestions for a fully digital (i.e.: Smartcard-style, fully digital media) camera and housing assembly?

I'm interested in being able to get 20-30 mins of video every time I go out...

Thanks again for all the help. Maybe I should steer clear of the VHS stuff.

Barracuda, what's a TR-8, and would you be willing to sell me that housing that's just sitting around? If I can get another camera for it for around $100, that could start me off with video...

... how come the sony pd 100 and not the sony vx2000 or canon glx?

If you are interested in editing using a computer, then digital video is really the only option. Creating MPEG clips is really quite simple, and all you will need is a Firewire (IEEE1394) card for your computer. Alternatively, you can buy a video capture card with a normal A/V input, but the quality suffers quite a bit.

I may be mistaken but there is no way that 30 minutes of video will ever fit into a smart card, or any type of compact flash et al. You should look into MiniDV. There are smaller tapes available from Sony, but MiniDV tapes are usually cheaper. Out here, I can buy a 60 minute MiniDV tape for around US$3, or less, in bulk.

I use a Sony PC-100 with a Light and Motion Mako housing. I've been extremely happy with both the camera and housing. I used to use an Ikelite housing for the same camera, but the thing is so bulky that I changed after a couple of months.

Sounds like a great camera... But even at Ebay, it's listed for nearly $1000. With housing, what would I spend on this unit? $2K? Sorry, I'm not willing to invest $2k in something that I no doubt am going to beat the crap out of.

I already have a video capture card in my computer... And since I am planning on creating MPEG or WMV files with the video signal, I'm not particularly concerned about stunning quality. After all, since these movie files are going to be sized for the 'net, I'll need a relatively low quality file anyway. Check my site for examples... These are perfect, and exactly what I'm looking to duplicate.

Any other ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom