Help with a video camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo once bubbled...
... how come the sony pd 100 and not the sony vx2000 or canon glx?

The Sony pd 100 or 150 has higher quality component parts than the VX2000. It also has the ability to use DV CAM which is higher quality image than DV. In our business we use pd150's because of the great quality of XLR audio inputs with two channels and full control. When I edit I can dump all information via firewire onto our hard drive and edit from there. We use Media 100 software for editing.

Barracuda2

I think it comes down to how much time you want to invest seajay :wink:

The big vhs camera will make for an inexpensive, fun project, and will probably do what you are describing you want it to do.

To get a housing for it though, you are probably going to have to get yourself some 6-8" acrylic tubing and make the housing yourself, hence the time investment.

Ikelite has some universal housings (some pretty big ones too) that you just have to make controls for, you may want to check out the website and see if any of them will fit.

good luck bud!

SeaJay, I'm with Barracuda on this one. dont waste your time with that old thing.

I just bought a Sony DCR TRV33 and am going thru Undersea Video Housings for the housing. www.usvh.com

If you want to purchase something from them....call em up and talk to Warren. Let him know that Jason from Chicago referred you. No, I don't get anything for it, but he is currently working on my order and that might be a nice way to break the ice...unless he thinks im an idiot. :D

Have your tried Windows Movie Maker 2 at all? I just finished editing my Bonaire trip video with it and it was super easy to use. I'm not sure how much your into video editing, but I was quite happy with all of its features.

It comes with Windows XP.

Jason

Do you know if I can edit the Quicktime movie clips that my C-4040 takes with Movie Maker? I have XP Home on my laptop.

I want to take all the short 30sec. clips and edit them into one long one. Can I do that?

jepuskar once bubbled...
Have your tried Windows Movie Maker 2 at all? I just finished editing my Bonaire trip video with it and it was super easy to use. I'm not sure how much your into video editing, but I was quite happy with all of its features.

It comes with Windows XP.

Jason

Don't know anything about Movie Maker 2. It sounds like a very adequate consumer editing system. Our system is a professional system - Media 100i - It's very powerful - 2 graphics tracks, 2 video tracks, 6 audio tracks that could be expanded into 12 tracks. It has audio EQ for many varities of audio effects. The graphics tracks can do just wonderful things! We also use Boris Red for 3D and animation. + many capabilities for enhancement and organization of video and audio information. Our hard drive has 150 gigs of space to accommodate multiple projects. Our business is video production work for the corporate and consumer arenas. We have to stay on the cutting edge to compete. - as a result, we've had to upgrade our system 3 times in the last 6 years. Our latest upgrade took us into the DVD world. We are into it fairly heavy.

Barracuda2

I know you can import many different types of file formats into Movie Maker.

1) Download Movie Maker 2 --its good to update it anyway --
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...84-6f21-43e2-b4e2-051f72c11a77&displaylang=en

2) I'm not in front of a computer with it, but you should be able to find a place to import video clips....see if you can do it this way. If you can't find this, I can help you tonight.

3) Also, you can try connecting your C-4040 to your computer and see if Movie Maker detects it. If so, if you still have the original clips you can transfer it that way, but chances are step 2 will work..atleast lets hope.

Let me know if this works....

jason

Dee once bubbled...
Do you know if I can edit the Quicktime movie clips that my C-4040 takes with Movie Maker? I have XP Home on my laptop.

I want to take all the short 30sec. clips and edit them into one long one. Can I do that?

quicktime clips are a valid format for importing into MM, just hit the "import video" button and select the clip. Then after you are done, you can save the file in quicktime format. This is all assuming that you have quicktime installed on the machine :wink:

cuda

i have a couple of questions for you.

1 . i know you said you use the sonys but whats your opinon on the canon gl2 and xl1s ?

2. from what i understand i though the limitation of DV was 2 channels of 16 bit 48 khz audio or 4 of 12 bit 32 khz audio, but in your post you said something about upto 12 tracks of audio, is that possible or is that a limitation for the tape only that can be expanded once in editting

3. you said for editting you use media 100 but once again whats your opinon on adobe premire ?

the reason im asking is that i do digital photography and editting currently (thats what my college degree is in ) but i would like to add videography to that skill set

let me know by posting here or PM me.

Barracuda2 once bubbled...

Don't know anything about Movie Maker 2. It sounds like a very adequate consumer editing system. Our system is a professional system - Media 100i - It's very powerful - 2 graphics tracks, 2 video tracks, 6 audio tracks that could be expanded into 12 tracks. It has audio EQ for many varities of audio effects. The graphics tracks can do just wonderful things! We also use Boris Red for 3D and animation. + many capabilities for enhancement and organization of video and audio information. Our hard drive has 150 gigs of space to accommodate multiple projects. Our business is video production work for the corporate and consumer arenas. We have to stay on the cutting edge to compete. - as a result, we've had to upgrade our system 3 times in the last 6 years. Our latest upgrade took us into the DVD world. We are into it fairly heavy.

Barracuda2

Thats not a video camera it is a old out of date boat anchor cut the line and pay the $$ and go with new!

Back
Top Bottom