Help! Where is the best diving in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodyLynn

Registered
Reaction score
I am taking 3 1/2 weeks off in July and want to go diving! Live in CA. Have not dived since 2002 when I first learned. Logged 40 dives in Bali, Australia, and Thailand. Looking to not spend a fortune-no more than $5K on the whole trip. May bring a non-diving partner. Heard Cozumel is good but isn't July the rainy season? Also heard Panama is good, but also rainy? I feel like I"m running out of time and getting way too stressed. I would appreciate anyone's advice on the perfect spot. Would love to go back to Bali, but heard it is not safe today, plus, would rather not suffer too much jet-lag.

Thanks!
Jody

I have one word for you Jody. Bonaire.

Well ok, a few more words too: "Rainy season" is not in their vocabulary and you can find very cost effective stay, drive & dive packages. Check the ABC Island sub-forum under Greater Caribbean etc>Lesser Antilles for tons of Bonaire posts. Great diving and low stress levels. // ww

From L.A., the carribean is a long trip.Having to go through Miami is a pain.
Hawaii is an easy hit....Try Kona. Real good easy diving to get yourself back into it.plenty for the non diver to see and do. Non-stop flights from l.a.. consistant vis and warm water year round.
don't forget to do the manta night dives.....

P.S with 31/2 weeks, you could go to Maui and Kauai as well.
personally , i wouldn't worry about the jet lag with that chunk of time. might consider Fiji if you haven't already

July is still essentially ahead of the Atlantic hurricane season, therefore anywhere in the Florida Keys, or Cozumel, or the Caribbean is great.

In terms of cost, Florida would be your best bet, with Mexico in 2nd, then it gets progressively more expensive, with the Caribbean next, and then Hawaii.

If you are going to Hawaii my vote is Kona (southwest Big Island) but all the islands have scuba. Jacks Diving Locker on Kona can give you scuba refreshers too. I am not sure you can do this for $5K though. Last time I priced it, it came to more.

If you are going to Mexico, my vote is Cozumel. La Paz is also nice, as is Cabo, but the waters of the Sea of Cortez have not warmed up much yet, and will not until September.

Since you have not dived in awhile, I would consider Amy Slade's at Key Largo Florida. You can get refreshers there. But if you want the best of Florida, and are comfortable with drift diving, then Tortugas out of either Key West or Fort Meyers is the best. Florida is easy to do on less than $5K for 2 people.

dashark:
From L.A., the carribean is a long trip.Having to go through Miami is a pain.
Hawaii is an easy hit....Try Kona. Real good easy diving to get yourself back into it.plenty for the non diver to see and do. Non-stop flights from l.a.. consistant vis and warm water year round.
don't forget to do the manta night dives.....

Hawaii is more direct from California, yes, but Hawaii still costs overall about twice as much as Florida.

Hawaii doesn't have to be expensive. Inexpensive simple hotels and/or condo's can be found. Hawaii is one those places where most of my time is spent exploring.

Thanks so much for the replies! You know, I have been to Hawaii 3 times (as a non-diver) and frankly it does not float my boat. Ditto with Florida. I want to be OUT of this country. I was just checking out Roatan, Honduras and it looks like a popular spot with good off shore snorkeling for my boyfriend and not too terribly expensive. What do you guys think about that choice?

Don't forget the recent Coup in Fiji, but it has driven prices down. Watch your back.

Coco view resort in Roatan Honduras is beautiful any time of the year.
Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom