Help w/ 1st setup- Scubapro or Apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsmith

Reaction score
I'm looking for people who have experience w/ both Scubapro (i.e., Mk25/G250HP or S600) & Apeks regulators who can provide direct comparison. Are we comparing ferraris & lamborghinis? My LDS carries both, and most of the staff use Scubapro, but the technician who just moved to the area from Seattle swears by Apeks.

My diving is generally tropical & freshwater quarries, and will be getting into cavern in the near future. No plans for cave at this point, but possible wreck diving in a few years. Not planning to dive under ice.

Suggestions?

Jim

its six of one and a half-dozen of the other.

The SP is cheaper to get parts kits for, which is irrelavent if you buy at "full price", but very relavent if you do not.

Both are good performers.

If you intend to dive water under 50F or so, I'd go with the Apeks, simply to reduce the risk of freezing.

Otherwise, bargain away.

(BTW, the G250HP and S600 are identical internally.)

jpsmith once bubbled...
I'm looking for people who have experience w/ both Scubapro (i.e., Mk25/G250HP or S600) & Apeks regulators who can provide direct comparison. Are we comparing ferraris & lamborghinis? My LDS carries both, and most of the staff use Scubapro, but the technician who just moved to the area from Seattle swears by Apeks.

My diving is generally tropical & freshwater quarries, and will be getting into cavern in the near future. No plans for cave at this point, but possible wreck diving in a few years. Not planning to dive under ice.

Suggestions?

Jim

Zeagle Flathhead VI / ZX 2nd Stage

THE BEST. I think it's also the same as Apeks.

This is my setup/1st setup always going to be my setup, I have breathed some nice regs, but I think this one breathes THE BEST.

Zeagle reg are Apeks regs...just re-badged.

The Flathead is the older Apeks TX100

I'm looking at the newer ATX100 too :)

Just to let you know... Apeks is the current world record holder for deep-air scuba. Deep-air scuba is NOT recommended...but it's nice to know the reg can work at those depths.

Current record is at 303m, or about 900ft.

I own Sp MK20/D400

I put it in for service, a Week later wanted to go diving regs had not been serviced yet so the dive owner lent me his own regs that he just serviced (Apeks ATX200) it breathed like ***** couldn't wait to get my SP back

Ture store :)

Having said that I have just brought 2 Apeks DS4s for deco regs but will put SP 2nd stages on them.

Rickoz once bubbled...
that he just serviced (Apeks ATX200) it breathed like *****

Did he service or "service" it ? Did you try to adjust breathing with knob ?

Rickoz once bubbled...
I own Sp MK20/D400

I put it in for service, a Week later wanted to go diving regs had not been serviced yet so the dive owner lent me his own regs that he just serviced (Apeks ATX200) it breathed like ***** couldn't wait to get my SP back

Ture store :)

Having said that I have just brought 2 Apeks DS4s for deco regs but will put SP 2nd stages on them.

Interesting, I dive an ATX200 and find it to be an outsanding breather. Were the venturi switch and the cracking resistance controls adjusted properly?

jplacson once bubbled...
Zeagle reg are Apeks regs...just re-badged.

The Flathead is the older Apeks TX100

I'm looking at the newer ATX100 too :)

Just to let you know... Apeks is the current world record holder for deep-air scuba. Deep-air scuba is NOT recommended...but it's nice to know the reg can work at those depths.

Current record is at 303m, or about 900ft.

Just so you know there is no such thing as an apeks 'ATX100' The ATX200 replaced the TX100. The difference being a smaller and lighter second stage as well as a different port configuration on the first stage.
As far as Zeagle goes they are identical to the apeks. I don't know about the SCUBAPRO being cheaper, I think it is overpriced and you need special tools to service them which can be hard to find depending on your location. :D

jpsmith once bubbled...

Suggestions?

Jim

Legend LX. Forget the others.

rescuediver009 once bubbled...

Just so you know there is no such thing as an apeks 'ATX100' The ATX200 replaced the TX100. . :D
I dive the ATX100, so I'm here to say there is such a thing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom