Help - Visa Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bassaraba

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have read and re-read threads on DM courses in Thailand. I am planning on coming over in September and I guess I'm just looking for some guidance. I fully agree with the logic of getting there first and then checking out DC's to see where I fit in. My question is, what about the visa? If I'm planning on staying a while (up to one year) how do I get a visa without a letter from a DC? Which I assume they will only give you once they have a deposit.

Thanks,
Alex:D

You are right a dive centre would probably not give you the magic letter without a deposit. However you do have a lot of options anyway so dont worry too much about this driving you to make a choice before you get here.

Im not sure where you are from but you will be able to apply for a tourist visa with the Thai consulate or embassy in your own country before leaving. If you are British then use the consulate in Hull - their service is fast and problem free. A tourist visa gives you a 60 day stay. However you can get multiple entries - you just pay for them ....to activate your 2nd entry then you just do a border run but each of your 60 days can be extended by one month by visiting an immigration office within Thailand. So with a multiple entry and extensions then you can get to a year.

Also bear in mind that once you have decided where you are going to train then the dive centre will give you the letter to apply for an education visa. Usually people pop to Malaysia to apply to the thai consulates there.

Overall its simpler to get the longest visa possible before you leave and multiple entry tourist visas do the job !

With an educational visa - which the dive centre letter will enable you to get - you still have to pay for it and you still have to border run - the only real difference is that each entry is valid for 90 days instead of the 60 on a tourist visa.

Depending on where you apply for your visa though some places are reluctant to give multiple entry educational visas....

If you can use the Hull Consulate in the UK - I belive they are issuing Type O visas - which is 'visiting freinds and family' and these are a year and for 90 days in each entry and no magic letter required.

Welcome :: Thai Consulate

I know when I came over to Koh Tao, the dive center I was in e-mail contact with helped out with a student visa, without a deposit. However, I was coming over to staff and was pretty sure where I would end up. I think it depends a little bit on at which consulate you apply for the visa. Some wish to see a receipt for the course as well as the letter and company papers from the shop. Whereabouts in Canada are you? I know some guys here that have had success in Canada with multiple entry student visas, others that have only gained a single entry. It sweems to depend on the consulate.

In general consulates tend to be 'easier' in handing out visa's than Embassies. I think part of this is that they make money out of Visa's in contrast to Embassies who are not necessarily that dependant on income from visa's.

Right now I think all (or selected) Thai visa's are free up till somewhere in March.

As already stated, rules change all the time and right now it's apparently not that easy anymore getting multiple entry tourist visas.

Visiting Thaivisa dot com is indeed very good advice and the latest info is available there.

Good luck finding a place where you feel at home!

Last edited:
In general consulates tend to be 'easier' in handing out visa's than Embassies. I think part of this is that they make money out of Visa's in contrast to Embassies who are not necessarily that dependant on income from visa's.

Right now I think all (or selected) Thai visa's are free up till somewhere in March.

As already stated, rules change all the time and right now it's apparently not that easy anymore getting multiple entry tourist visas.

Visiting Thaivisa dot com is indeed very good advice and the latest info is available there.

Good luck finding a place where you feel at home!
Only tourist visas are free, and until the 5th of March.

Only tourist visas are free, and until the 5th of March.
and there are many reports, that consulates give the VISA for free, but charge a fee for their work :rofl3::rofl3:
so you pay almost the same amount for the free visa.
I read reports from UK, but might the same everywhere.

Hey Alex,

I was in the exact same boat as you back in December. Wanted to come to Thailand for awhile to do some training, but didn't want to commit to a dive op until I had dived with them. So, no student visa. Instead I applied for a Tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Washington D.C. I see your location is Canada, so you'll have to look into the Consulate up there. Basically, get a 2 entry tourist Visa and when you enter they will stamp your passport for 60 days. This can then be extended an additional 30 days once you're in Thailand. From there, you leave and use your second entry for another 60+30. All in all you can technically get 180 days out of this. I followed the directions from this site: http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Tourist.aspx (America Only). There was no charge for the Visa... just had to pay for post.

Hope this helps!

Hey Alex,

I was in the exact same boat as you back in December. Wanted to come to Thailand for awhile to do some training, but didn't want to commit to a dive op until I had dived with them. So, no student visa. Instead I applied for a Tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Washington D.C. I see your location is Canada, so you'll have to look into the Consulate up there. Basically, get a 2 entry tourist Visa and when you enter they will stamp your passport for 60 days. This can then be extended an additional 30 days once you're in Thailand. From there, you leave and use your second entry for another 60+30. All in all you can technically get 180 days out of this. I followed the directions from this site: http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Tourist.aspx (America Only). There was no charge for the Visa... just had to pay for post.

Hope this helps!

But double check that...because I know USA has some special agreements with Thailand. check if it is the same with Canada.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom