Help to identify HP steel tank (USDiver/AquaLung HP3.5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, rjack321 and ClevelandDiver. I was just doing more searching and posting when you put your replies in. That is all good information. I think I will see what I can get these for and take them.

As for PST's status, the tanks likely aren't under any warranty...and if they were to blow up and kill me, I wouldn't be around for litigation anyway :) Good companies go out of business or are aquired all of the time, doesn't necessarily reflect on their product.

Even if PST goes away, the exemption can be renewed by 3rd parties. That is not germane to a decision about the viability/worth of these tanks.

The fax that is listed in the 2nd thread posted by ClevelandDiver makes me a little concerned about PST's status. So the DOT exemption is now "valid through August 31, 2007". If the company no longer exists, does the DOT exemption go with it? Is this a federal liability thing? Is an item produced under an exemption somehow dangerous after the exemption expires?

Seems confusing to me. What it comes down to is this, will a owner of the cylinders produced under this exemption be able to fill them after it expires (assuming PST goes away)? I now see the reason to be concerned, it would be an expensive 10-months of cylinder "rental" if this exemption was to expire. I guess on the bright side, i could make bells out of them and still be cheaper than Japanese gardens and other shops sell them for :wink:

The exemptions have to be periodically renewed. Normally the company does this. However if PST were to completely disappear (they haven't, they were bought out by a Korean company) it is totally feasible for a diver or group of divers to renew all of the 9791 exemptions. No problem.

Really, I wouldn't worry about it. There are thousands and thousands of E9791 tanks out there and they will not suddenly be illegal to fill next September. The exemption will be renewed by the company or by owners.

I have 6 x E9791 tanks and would buy more.

PriusDrIVER:
Pete (spectrum),

Thanks for the info. Are yours branded as USDiver/Aqua Lung?

Yes

If you look closely between the serial number and first hydro you will see the Pst logo.

Pete

Thanks for all of the feedback and info. I went ahead and picked them up today, got the 2 cylinders (even the stickers are in pretty good shape) and a like-new gear bag for less than 1-cylinder new.

They are off to hydro, vip and oxygen clean tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom