Help Needed! - UWATEC Smart Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received a FedEx letter stating what the recall was about yesterday. When I called the 800 number they said that the letter was a result of being a registered owner. I had also responded to the Uwatec web site and the person on the Uwatec phone line said that would generate the return shipping container and instructions.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if hte SmartCom hose is supposed to go along with the unit?

I don't know if they are requiring the hose, but my LDS took my hose off and put the plug back at . They kept the hose and computer to send in for me. I don't have to wait on the shipping box that way. LDS owner already had talked to Uwatec concerning the recall, they definitely told him the new computers are on backorder and it may take 3 months to get them ditributed out. They recommened he loan out a computer to those customers that needed one. Lucky for me I have a second set up with an AI 500 Aeris.

I hate to speak ill of Uwatec because despite the attitude in a large part of this thread I like my Uwatec computers, but loaning out a computer to those that need it could bankrupt a LDS, and what are they supposed to loan, all the Smarts are recalled, some other brand?

I certainly would like to see a local store here try to loan out a dive com. Did Uwatec send out some loan units to these dealers or what? The local dive store here still does not know anything about the recall.
Generally I like Uwatec as well and I think there is safety in number. When there is a minor bug that only showed up in specific cases or risk of showing up is very low, I think only divecom that are popular and have enough users to report the glitch, will the manufacture realize that it is a real problem and do something about it. Overall, I am glad Uwatec goes ahead and recall all the units rather waiting for my or your Smartcom to freeze up and then return it in exchange for a new and hopefully problem free unit. In a smaller and less popular manufacturers, who knows how long it would take them to realize how widespread the problem might be.

Diversauras once bubbled...
Out of curiosity does anyone know if hte SmartCom hose is supposed to go along with the unit?

I already got the post bag (including a letter)

Quote from letter:

Please retain your manuals, software, hose and steel guard where applicable

To receive your prepaid shipping container directly from UWATEC there is a form to fill out at:

http://www.uwatec.com/notice/com_eng.html

or you can call in the U.S. 800-808-3948.

It seems it doesn't matter where you purchased your computer from, they are conducting a voluntary recall of ALL smart coms & smart pros.

I purchased 2 smart coms a little over a year ago and have experienced the "bug" first hand with one of them.

All the readings made no sense and gave false information, eg. depth at 210 when at 56 feet, computer going into nitrox mode when it shouldn't, etc.

Needless to say, I now have 2 suuntos for backup.

Hope this helps.

diverUp once bubbled...
To receive your prepaid shipping container directly from UWATEC there is a form to fill out at:
I purchased 2 smart coms a little over a year ago and have experienced the "bug" first hand with one of them.

All the readings made no sense and gave false information, eg. depth at 210 when at 56 feet, computer going into nitrox mode when it shouldn't, etc.

Needless to say, I now have 2 suuntos for backup.

Hope this helps.

Just wondering, as UWATEC says that this bug happens under "certain conditions", and you have experienced the bug, any idea what were the certain conditions? any special profile? mix? depth? temperature? repetitive? too many warnings? deco dive? In short :wink: any idea what made it go into "bogus mode"?

As a matter of fact, the dive in question was a routine equipment check on serviced regs.

Dive site: Quarry
Planned max depth: 60 feet
Air: Regular air, single cylinder
Max temp: 45
Planned dive time: 20 min

In short, this was a basic, non-eventfull dive, until my computer shorted on me.

After searching for info on the recall, I found this from a diver in Australia:

“ Got some more info today from the Scubapro-Uwatec rep about the recall. The problem lies within a language used by a chip inside the unit. When certain criteria, e.g. no of dives with a certain number of alarms plus etc etc, are met, then that is when the alarms become disabled. Now this criteria will never be met by most recreational divers using these computers though dive professionals up in Cairns have experienced this. Uwatec have decided to voluntarily recall all of these computers worldwide as a proactive measure. “

I also talked to a UWATEC tech in California and he said that they haven’t received the replacement units yet, but are expecting them mid-August and they will be shipping them on a first-come-first-served basis. Also the units are new computers – I was wondering if the long replacement time was due to taking the returned units and refurbishing them, but the tech said that that was not the case as the units will have new chipsets in them – there may be some resolution to the issue of the level stop indicator obscuring the remaining dive time in the new computers (but he wasn’t sure). He didn’t know what they are going to do with all the returned units.

In south Africa ScubaPro is loaning replacement units to divers (for a Smart PRO you receive a Pro Ultra Computer for a Smart COM you receive a Pro Ultra Computer and a Mini SPG) and stating that the replacements will be available in October.

South Africa Scuba Pro

My SmartCOM halted once just after the end of a dive 2 weeks ago in Sipadan.

I stepped out of the ship and wanted to review the dive log. No response at all. During that dive, no violation of any decompression stop or obligation. I had tried all the button combinations, the display just froze. Then suddenly an idea came to me, I jumped back to the ship and attached it to the hose, reopened the tank valve. It was revived and works well till now.

At that time I don't think it's a serious problem but after I came back, UWATEC recalls all Smart series computers. I don't know this problem matches the phenomenon described in UWATEC's recall statement or not.

I'v decided to switch to AI wrist-mounted computer and a SPG backup for my safety.

Back
Top Bottom