Help Needed! - UWATEC Smart Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I got today an email from Uwatec letting me know (damn!) that now they are recalling ALL of their Smart series computers.

I have had my SmartCom computer for almost a year now with around 80-100 dives using it. Never had a problem except a small air leak from the fast connector but it was fixed.

So far, I was very happy with it.

I am going on a 4 day diving safari with friends in 10 days from now and I won't have time to send the computer back and wait for a new one.

Anyone knows what are the "certain conditions" that may cause the problems? (reminder: "A software programming error can render audio and some visual alert signals inoperable, and under certain conditions, the screen freezes" ).

Anyone has experienced this bug that made them recall ALL the computers and can tell what was his diving profile or action that made the computer malfunction?

I am a bit worried and don't know what to do :confused: ...

Thanks,

I read all those posts before posting mine...

I couldn't find answers or a question same as mine, that was why I posted my question as a new thread.

What I want to know is if someone knows what is that "mysterious" bug or what action or dive profile might cause the computer to malfunction so I can (try to) avoid it during the safari I am about to go on...

Needless to say this couldn't come on a worse timing for me...

Thanks,

you probably know as much as the rest of us then....

It does seem to be a general recall of all units - if you baught it through an LDS contact them as they maybe able to lend you a different computer whilst yours goes back, they are talking about a 90 day turn around which for a lot of people could be the rest of the season....

Jonathan

90 days is a hell of a lot of time. And for me as a smartCOM user the computer is the preasure gauge as well. Arghhh, money money money... now I'll probably have to buy an analog console for the time the computer will be out.

The funny thing was when I called my LDS this morning they didn't even know what I was talking about and asked me to call later.

What would you do instead of me, go on the safari with the smart or look for an alternative?

This news definitely could not come at a worse time. I just came back from a week trip and plan to go on a live aboard trip in about 3 weeks also.
I think I will still take the Smartcom with me and deal with the recall after my trip. In the mean time, I will have a backup computer and will have a spare analog guage in my bag. Hopefully the Smartcom will behave itself for one more trip.

My local authorized dealer here in Bangkok have not heard anything about the recall yet either. They said they have been receiving communications from Uwatec regularly, as recent as this am but no mention of the recall yet!

I think I will probably do the same unless my LDS will surprise me and offer me a better option...

but the choice is yours - you only live once....:poison:

I guess I am lucky - if one of my computers gets recalled I've got a couple of spares and a bottom timer and tables.

Remember if it goes you really should not dive for at least 24 hours afterwards unless you are using a backup.

Look forward to the trip reports....

Jonathan

Hmmmmm this brings up a VERY interesting issue of what happens for those people who bought their Smart Com/Pro's from places like Leisure Pro?

Will Scubapro still warranty them?????

I think the issue may have to do with the level stops display overlaying the NDT time......but that is just a wild guess, but the issue has been brought up numerous times by many people. But, who is to know....if someone finds out, please post it as I would like to know if it that or a new problem.

Brules

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom