Help Needed! - UWATEC Smart Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brules I don't think that overlay 'issue' will be fixed in this go around although I could be wrong. If you search the previous computer posts you will see there were problems with screens going blank, RBT being incorrect, leaks from the high pressure quick link to name a few.

If they do get all those fixed plus the NDL overlay then I might think about looking at a Smartcom. Until then the moral of the story is like first releases of any new software product you are best to wait for v2.0 when most of the big bugs have been worked out.

Brules once bubbled...
Hmmmmm this brings up a VERY interesting issue of what happens for those people who bought their Smart Com/Pro's from places like Leisure Pro?

Will Scubapro still warranty them?????

Brules

The recall (as it pertains to the manuf.) might only affect computers manufactured for the US markets. Not sure how that works...

But, LP says they have a warranty as good or better than the manuf. warranty, so I would assume that LP will manage the recall for their own stuff...

Good question though.

As mentioned before, in case of a mulfunction of the computer, you betteer have a backup or loose a day of diving. Don't keep the backup computer in a pocket in your BC cause beeing wet will keep it activated and run it's battery out. You should also check the backup computer before exiting the safty stop to avoid it being locked due to a deco stop needed according to it's algoritm.

Regarding mulfunction of your Smartcom as a pressure gauge as well, will cause the end of the specific dive and than you can change it with an analoge one (don't forget to bring the tools with you).
If your first stage regulator has 2 HP ports, I'de consider attaching the analoge anyway.

Enjoy the safari.

pufferfish once bubbled...
Brules I don't think that overlay 'issue' will be fixed in this go around although I could be wrong. If you search the previous computer posts you will see there were problems with screens going blank, RBT being incorrect, leaks from the high pressure quick link to name a few.

If they do get all those fixed plus the NDL overlay then I might think about looking at a Smartcom. Until then the moral of the story is like first releases of any new software product you are best to wait for v2.0 when most of the big bugs have been worked out.

Great point!!!!!

I build custom PC gaming machines (real high end stuff) and I should know by now that you never buy v1 of a motherboard etc. It has bit me in the hiney once too often!!!!

With these devices geting sooo complicated now, it is almost impossible for them to Beta test them adequately & expect to find all of the potential bugs.

Brules

scubasean once bubbled...

The recall (as it pertains to the manuf.) might only affect computers manufactured for the US markets. Not sure how that works...

But, LP says they have a warranty as good or better than the manuf. warranty, so I would assume that LP will manage the recall for their own stuff...

Good question though.

The recall is worldwide.

I'm just glad that I don't have to send it to the US to get a replacement.

I contaced the Uwatec Australia and they said they'd replace it here.

sales@scubapro.com.au

Just send them your address and they'll send you a return-paid post bag where you put your computer in and send it back. They'll then send you a new one.

I have a Smart Com (air console), and have had the usual air leak on the first day of diving from the hose and a compass with a bubble the size of Texas rendering it useless, both promptly repaired by my LDS and Uwatec. Unfurtunately, I leave for Roatan on Saturday for a week of diving. My LDS knew nothing of the recall, but checked into it and called me back shortly......... "Man, Uwatec can't get you a new computer/air guage back before Saturday, and I'm sorry this happened. You can use my Uwatec (another model apparently) Wrist unit and transmitter.", "But dont go stick'in you hand in the rocks and scratch it up" ................
Well, saved by the dive shop owner, who is fantastic to deal with. If your ever in Dallas, Texas and need scuba stuff, training, or free advise stop by Grapevine Scuba. It DOES matter where you by it!!!! Could of saved a few dollars at LP or some other porthole, but I doubt in my hour of need four days before a trip I would get that type of help. Thanks Grapevine Scuba!!!!!

This is somewhat a pain in the arse for me as well. I was planning on Diving this weekend locally. Fortunately I don't have any real dive trips planned. I am none too happy with Scuba Pro these days. I have a Mk25/S600 that I am none too impressed with and now this. Its a real pain that I could be without my computer for 3 months after droppnig a fortune on it at a local dive shop. hmmmm, I wonder if the owner of that shop is having problems with his Smart Com since is in Bonaire right now.

I guess I should consider myself somewhat lucky. I can take my wife's Mares M1 with me this weekend and while I am at it I could take her Apeks regs too. :)

I had my smart com a little over 1 year. I am an Instructor used it on every dive, never a problem. Two weeks ago I came out of the pool, hmmmm the computer is locked/froze as they described it, nada nothing would change. Because I live in San Diego I took it directly to SP the repair guy told me it had happend to a few others, and they were on back order, I would get a new board for it Mid July. He was nice enough to give me an Aladin air intergrated as a replacement until mine was fixed. THEN! I find out about a recall. I doubt I will get it mid July, keeping my fins crossed.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
I am none too happy with Scuba Pro these days. I have a Mk25/S600 that I am none too impressed with and now this. Its a real pain that I could be without my computer for 3 months after droppnig a fortune on it at a local dive shop.

I couldn't agree with you more. Not only have I experienced problems with the SmartCom, but also the MK20/S600 regulator. The MK20 has been replaced with the MK25. For a good read, refer to the other thread I originally started about the SmartCom recall. I've posted my own experiences...

The worst advertisement a company can have is bad word of mouth. So far, ScubaPro/Uwatec is doing a damn good job of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom