Help! Need to use drysuit next week - how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK_SHU

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a drysuit and I need to use it on a job next week. There is no one around here that I can do a course with so I was hoping I can get some pointers here. I know absolutely nothing about drysuit diving and as this job is on I need to learn fast

1) It has a latex seal that I can get over my head. It feels quite tight on my neck - how do I know if its too tight?

2) Do you fold over latex neck seals?

3) It has neoprene wrist seals with shinny surface on outside - does this mean they are designed to be folded over?

4) It has an attached hood - I guess that means I can only ise the shoulder dump to exhaust?

5) If inverted its just a case of doing a somersault to right oneself - is this easy to do? just a roll? any other action like finning or venting?

6) Are there any other 'righting' methods or tricks to aid trim/bouyancy?

7) How does one stop fins from being blown off? Is it just a case of making sure they are tight. The attached boots fit well length wise but are wide - like welington boots - is that normal/advisable?

8) Are there any procedures (when diving with attached hood and full face mask) I should know for runnaway ascents, balancing etc

9) how do you vent air from the suit prior to jumping in

10) I can feel the zipper stiffness across my shoulders is that normal?

11) on ascent do I just lift my arm to vent from shoulder dump?

12) How do I know how much air to add to suit and when (I will be using a wing)

13) what weighting should I use and where should it go? I weigh 72kg. and carry no weight when wetsuit diving (drysuit is I guess 7mm)

Clearly I will have to self teach as time/location is not on my side although this is not my prefferance. I would appreciate any and all advice, pointers etc given

Thanks in advance

I don't think you should be considering doing this without some SERIOUSLY INTENSIVE TRAINING between now and then.

And even if you do get instruction between now and then I wouldn't be expecting a Disneyland dive . . . if I were you.

Just reading your post scares the bejeezus out of me!

The Kraken:
Just reading your post scares the bejeezus out of me!

I dont see why.

I hardly think its rocket science - just need some pointers, Im not a complete fool.

Like I said its not my preferenace to self teach - but I have no choice for logistical reasons.

EDITED: I have around 3000 logged dives - all wetsuit dives, no drysuit

Myself and many others could answer most of those questions for you, but is there no-one around who dives dry in your area (where would that be?) who could at least assist in the water with you. Do you have any time to practice before the "big project"? I can guarantee that you will not get this on the first dive, it takes time to be somewhat proficient enough in the DS to use it. This sounds like the same kind of time management my company operates on, its not fun and certainly less than safe.

Troll? Darwin candidate? Does it matter? :D Kraken, you bring the burgers, I'll bring the beer, we'll divvy up his gear at the end of the day.

You're not asking for "some pointers," you're asking for "everything there is to know about drysuit diving."

Find an instructor, take the class. No offense, but you clearly know nothing about drysuits and you can get yourself in a lot of trouble very quickly.

"I have around 3000 logged dives - all wetsuit dives, no drysuit"

. . . and I have over 3000 hours combat flying time in a Huey, but I don't think I'd like to do a cross country in a jumbo jet just having read the manual !!!

You are an adult and responsible for your own actions . . . have at it.

Jeez Im having a discussion with my mother!

Guys Im an adult, If I could take a class in time I would, If there was an instructor nearby I would use him, If I didnt need the money I woudnt take the job.

I have 40 hours of tank time booked over next 4 days to practice.

are you seriously trying to tell me I couldnt self teach the basics of drysuit diving in 40 hours? surely it cant be that hard!

You're quite literally asking someone on an online forum to teach you all the important aspects of drysuit diving.

Where do you live?

If you refuse to take an actual drysuit class, buy a book (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=268&item=6952048088&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V) and don't point the lawyers in this direction when your family is looking for someone to sue when you're incapacitated due to severe bends.

I am going to at least be nice to you on this one:
1) It has a latex seal that I can get over my head. It feels quite tight on my neck - how do I know if its too tight?
It should be a bit tight, but blood should still flow

2) Do you fold over latex neck seals?
No - kinks/folds in latex allow it to leak

3) It has neoprene wrist seals with shinny surface on outside - does this mean they are designed to be folded over?
Yes that is how neoprene seals work

4) It has an attached hood - I guess that means I can only ise the shoulder dump to exhaust?
Use the shoulder dump unless you really have to dump fast (missile to surface) in which case open up one of the cuffs or the neck (in this case hood) seal to release more air - you'll get wet doing this.

5) If inverted its just a case of doing a somersault to right oneself - is this easy to do? just a roll? any other action like finning or venting?
Its a somersault to try to get the air out of your feet and back into the main body of the suit. Not really any other actions, but of course stop rolling when you get your head above your feet :wink:

6) Are there any other 'righting' methods or tricks to aid trim/bouyancy?
Placement of weights, tanks prevents most rolling and trimming issues.

7) How does one stop fins from being blown off? Is it just a case of making sure they are tight. The attached boots fit well length wise but are wide - like welington boots - is that normal/advisable?
Not sure how much room you have in there, but the boots should be tight enough with your undies on. Stop getting too much air in the boots and avoid an upside down rocket ascent (see rolling above) and they shouldnt blow off.

8) Are there any procedures (when diving with attached hood and full face mask) I should know for runnaway ascents, balancing etc
Not that i can think of.

9) how do you vent air from the suit prior to jumping in
Squat down compress the air, let the excess out of the cuff or neck seal or shoulder dump - alternatively it'll come out when vertical in the water.

10) I can feel the zipper stiffness across my shoulders is that normal?
Probably, i have a front entry so wouldnt know about rear, but it sounds reasonable due to the stiffness i feel from the front zipper.

11) on ascent do I just lift my arm to vent from shoulder dump?
Yes, have the venting point at the highest point of your body - that is where the air will go.

12) How do I know how much air to add to suit and when (I will be using a wing)
If it hurts from squeeze add some air. Put in little bursts.

13) what weighting should I use and where should it go? I weigh 72kg. and carry no weight when wetsuit diving (drysuit is I guess 7mm)
You really have to try this out before you dive, it could be a whole bunch or very little depending on the suit, undies, tanks, fresh/salt water other equipment you will be taking down - its experimental and will probably reduce as you get more accustomed to the suit and this type of diving.
MARK_SHU:
Clearly I will have to self teach as time/location is not on my side although this is not my prefferance. I would appreciate any and all advice, pointers etc given
I think i have made it clear that i dont approve of learning this way, but myself and a few others tried to do it alone and werent impressed. A class or experienced mentor is the best route. Learning off the internet isnt the best way either, but i have answered your questions and hope that you can find some way to do this as safely as possible - ie get in some practice with others if possible. Where are you based? There might be members out there who arent put off by the Darwin award material you posted above.

BTW this isnt instruction, just answering questions, what you do with afterwards is your own business.

Back
Top Bottom