Help me value steel 100's, pony, reg set up pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got an opportunity to pick up two PST steel 100 tanks and a pony w/ reg from a friend and we're having trouble coming up w/ a fair price.

All are in good shape but out of hydro and vis which according to LDS will run $7 each for vis and $30 each for hydro (i could have those backwards). The steel 100's are galvanized w/ boots and sherwood 300bar valves. I'll have to convert my reg to DIN in order to use them.

Pony is either 19cf or 30cf, reg is an older nothing special model that would need to be serviced as well. No guages but does come with a pony mount.

To get everything up to date it's gonna run $111 for the tanks (3 * ($7 +$30)) and probably $60-70 for service on the reg ($50 labor plus service parts). Plus $100 to convert my current reg to DIN and get a din/yoke adapter for travel.

He's looking for $400 for it all, I'm thinking less. My reasoning is that new this would run $350 *2 for the steel tanks, $120 for the pony $50 for the mount and $100 for the reg set - so about $1000, 50% of that is $500 which would be fair used value - take off the $200 I'm spending to get them up to spec and that puts you about $300. What do you all think?

I'm not too familiar with the tanks - are these 3500psi or 3442psi?

If the latter, I think $400 for those tanks alone would be a steal. You could probably even get 500. $100 for used bands and $100 for a used manifold and you'd have double HP100s for $600-700. You'd still need to hydro/viz, but that'd still be a fair price.

I've got an opportunity to pick up two PST steel 100 tanks and a pony w/ reg from a friend and we're having trouble coming up w/ a fair price.

All are in good shape but out of hydro and vis which according to LDS will run $7 each for vis and $30 each for hydro (i could have those backwards). The steel 100's are galvanized w/ boots and sherwood 300bar valves. I'll have to convert my reg to DIN in order to use them.

Pony is either 19cf or 30cf, reg is an older nothing special model that would need to be serviced as well. No guages but does come with a pony mount.

To get everything up to date it's gonna run $111 for the tanks (3 * ($7 +$30)) and probably $60-70 for service on the reg ($50 labor plus service parts). Plus $100 to convert my current reg to DIN and get a din/yoke adapter for travel.

He's looking for $400 for it all, I'm thinking less. My reasoning is that new this would run $350 *2 for the steel tanks, $120 for the pony $50 for the mount and $100 for the reg set - so about $1000, 50% of that is $500 which would be fair used value - take off the $200 I'm spending to get them up to spec and that puts you about $300. What do you all think?

$400 looks like a pretty good price to me. I picked up a pair of newer PST HP100s last year with the more desirable Thermo valve for $225 each with 1 year left in hydro. I thought that was a pretty good buy. Like you said, $500 would be a fair used value. $300 is low. Steel tanks really should not depreciate too much.

How about $400 with a guarantee they will pass hydro.

Some other things you may want to consider:
- what is the original hydro date?
- have they always been stored with pressure in them?
- are they the angled valves?

One option is to agree to the higher price, but get your buddy to pay for the cost of having the cylinders tumbled if there is rust in side...otherwise, if you are bearing the risk maybe try to go a bit lower.

Good luck.

Depending on the reg the cost of the service may be more than what the reg is worth. I would find out what is and how good of reg it is. At best $50. Remember when are you going to use that reg - when there is an ah crap as such you want a good reg. As for the cylinders, given they are out of hydro and vis. I would not pay more then $150-$175 each. If in hydro and vis $175-$200. The pony bottle knock $100 off (i.e $50-$75 out hydro/vis, if in hydro and vis $75-$200). So my low offer would some where be $350-$400 (reg dependent).

And of course this is all base upon the cylinders passing a visual and hydro.

Yeah, an important point noted a few times is that the seller typically guarantees that the tank will pass hydro (and/or vis). If it doesn't, buyer gets a full refund (maybe minus shipping or hydro cost, make sure you work that out in advance) upon proof of destruction of tanks.

I have no problem buying tanks that are out of hydro/viz, as you get insurance on testing and know straight-up if the tank is safe to dive. If you buy a tank that's got one year left on hydro, and then it fails after you've owned it for that year, you're out of luck.

the regulator in question is a Sherwood Seaquest...

DSC_0791.jpg

DSC_0790.jpg

Last edited:
I think that $400.00 for the 3 cylinders and reg is a pretty good deal provided they pass. If the pony is a 19cf I would offer a little less. When they go in for hydro, try to get the cost of the VIP knocked off, as the hydro facility is required to do their own VIP.
I would look at it this way,
Used Reg: $50.00
Used 100's: $150.00ea
Used 30: $50.00
Total = $400.00.
Didn't you mention this is a friend? Just get some assurance as to serviceability and seal the deal.
Just my opinion.
Safe Dives
Charlie

I'll have to convert my reg to DIN in order to use them.

You can purchase a removable insert for the DIN to convert to yoke, which should run about $15 each, without converting your regulator.

i have been using that same reg for 17 years and have not had one problem. it also breathes easy.

Back
Top Bottom