Help me select my first set of gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a newbie, but here's some stuff I learned while getting my gear.

1. Don't just go and buy gear that people suggest (or that's cheap or that your local dive shop has). Try it out (through rentals at different dive shops). Personal preferences are vastly different.

2. Do your research...a lot. ScubaBoard is a great site for that. I also like Scuba Gear Reports and the user reviews on LeisurePro.
- I kind of wish I had waited before getting a lot of stuff (e.g., I would have preferred a back inflation now rather than a jacket BCD; using non-split fins but bought splits; prefer a self-donning drysuit that's a bit more pricey), but I got it often because of pressure and price.

3. Don't underestimate used gear.
- If I had waited a short while or done research on Craigslist, UsedVictoria (for Victoria), I could have gotten so much better deals for great gear. While buying my accessories (after I had already bought the BCD/Regs), I found so many great deals for nearly new gear from people quitting scuba. People quit all the time with all their gear.
- Some of this gear is nearly top-of-the-line (or at least pretty good) but for half the costs of retail/online.

4. Consider buying the essentials from a trusted local dive shop (i.e., probably only the regulator/octo set)
- This helps build a relationship, AND they know how to fix it well. It'll cost a bit more, though.

Let me make this clear. This is the newbie perspective on things. Use these as maybe a guideline.

As for drysuits, I use a Bare Nex-Gen Pro, which I love, except for the rear entry. You can get that for $1200, but I got a sweet deal. I've used the White's Fusion. Impeccable front-entry suit, but $2300.

A great starting point is ScubaBoard or just asking your local dive shop about the gear (while being wary about them trying to sell you stuff).

I don't think there is anything in this post I disagree with... Scuba_Noob, may want to change your name to Scuba_I_know_what_I_am_talking_about...!!! :wink: Nice post

Do your homework when dealing with your LDS... Do not take everything at face value or you will learn quickly how little you can trust them; not all but to many feed you this or that to get the sale...! Check prices and know the cost and allow the LDS to make some profit as they can be a very good asset for you in your growth but don't pay double the cost of anything...! Buy what you want as you are the one diving with it and sure, there will be some items you purchase you will regret or only bridge from this to that as money becomes available...

For instance, I have a Atomic mask, Halcyon backplate, Halcyon harness (use to be Dive Rite transplate), Oxycheq Mach V 30 lb wing, Sherwood SR1 and octo, Scuba Jets fins, some BS snorkel, Henderson's wetsuit, wenoka knife, Oceanic VT3 dive computer, 3-4 pairs of gloves and hoods, DUI drysuit, Scubapro Boots (i think), Manta reel, and so forth... What I am getting at is get what you want and not necessarily what the shop sells...!!! But again, do your homework cause you are the one who needs to be happy otherwise, you will spend all of this money and be out of the sport in 2 years...

I think the most important advice I can give when dealing with the LDS is be honest...! I remember telling my LDS that I was buying my computer and regs from them along with OW classes for both me and my wife... expensive! SR1 that I still have and a Wisdom 2 computer that my wife still dives with and mine is now a backup. I wanted a BP/W and my wife wanted a Transpac, neither of which the shop carried... I was up front and let them know what I wanted and if they could get it for me and for the price the shop down the road offered then I would buy from my LDS... They could not as both were Dive Rite and they did not carry it... No hard feelings but I did buy other items from them along with AOW training and Nitrox...

Everybody wins... My LDS made money off me and my wife, the Dive shop down the road made a little as well and like I told them way back when we started... When I spend 800.00 for regs well, its really 1600.00 cause of my wife on the flip side, when I save 200.00 on a trip I am really saving 400.00...!!! You want my business? Then work with me and I will do likewise and do what I can for the shop...

Again, do your homework and rent if you can to see if you like it... We were in Ginnie Springs FL and they rent the Transpac; thats how we or my wife got turned on the the Transpac and she still loves it...!

lee

PS Beware of Craigslist and even SB for that matter when buying used... If it cost more than your willing to lose then buy from someone close enough to meet halfway to see for yourself or go to them and PayPal is your friend...!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom