Help me pick out a compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning on buying a compass. It looks like the Suunto SK7 is highly regarded (though there are complaints of too-frequent failures). Aside from the risk that the SK7 would fail, any reason not to go with it? Any recommendations for a better compass? I am not interested in saving money if it means a compass "nearly as good."

I have been thinking about the retractable version in lieu of the wrist version (don't have a console and don't want one right now). Any pro's and cons to the retractable version?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I use a SK7 on a retractor, for me it was the way to go, because I can hold the compass out in front of me when taking a bearing.
Having it on a bungee reduces drag and the clutter on the harness.

I had an SK7 mounted on my wrist but found it aggravating to use because, in a drysuit, the spot you want it to sit on your wrist so that you can look through the side window is different from the spot where you can get a good look at it from above, so I was constantly shifting it around on my wrist and losing my bearing in the process. Now that I have it on a retractor I have no complaints at all. It's pretty pricey, but if you can find a good deal (got mine for $40 on craigslist) then as far as I can tell there's no reason not to buy it.

Like anything a compass can fail. But complaints seem to linger on the net long and you don't hear are the ones who don't have failures.
My SO and me both have the Suunto, hers is 10 years old, 1200 dives or so. It sits in het console. Mine is on a retractor. Both were bought second hand.
As with any dive gear: rinse well after use! And they will serve you long time.

I'm also looking for a new compass and decided to go with the Scubapro (Uwatec) FS-2 in a DSS wrist mount. The FS-2 is a "global" compass, so it doesn't require different models for each magnetic zone or hemisphere. And the profile is supposedly lower than the SK7. Should have it Monday so I'll see if I like it.

I'm also looking for a new compass and decided to go with the Scubapro (Uwatec) FS-2 in a DSS wrist mount. The FS-2 is a "global" compass, so it doesn't require different models for each magnetic zone or hemisphere. And the profile is supposedly lower than the SK7. Should have it Monday so I'll see if I like it.

The global feature is nice, but I haven't yet dived south of the equator...

One reason I am thinking of the retractable is that the profile wouldn't matter so much. And with a higher profile the side window might be easier to read (don't know--just a guess).

In any event, please post here as to how well you think the FS-2 will work for you. I haven't seen either the SK7 or the FS-2 in person.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 10:47 AM ----------

This compasses specs are similar to the SK7 only cheaper and include DSS-esque mount. The "Deluxe Pro" , scroll down.

Underwater Navigation Compasses - Dive Gear Express

Have you used the Deluxe Pro? Has anyone here have personal experience with the Deluxe Pro and know someone who does?

I had an sk7 mounted in the SPG console that cracked after a hundred (or two) dives. Not sure if it cracked on its own or got squished by a tank re-boarding a boat. Replaced it with an old oceanic style compass that a buddy had lying around. Somehow managed to make it fit in the same spot. Works fine for verifying my orientation occasionally on one of my non-drift dive sites. Would be a pain for following a heading though. Eventually will move over to a DSS wrist mount but not a priority at the moment.

The Suunto's are good but a little 'High profile'......Look for a 'Fast Swing' compass and lower profile that can be mounted in a bungee wrist mount ( Deepseasupply.com )....Some people mount compasses in retractors or on hoses....But it's easier/more accurate to navigate w/it mounted on your forearm or wrist.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom