Help me decide...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to decide between these BPW options. We have mostly been traveling to warm water destinations and diving single 80s but also do some local cold water diving (with wetsuit and/or drysuit) and I have a few cold water destinations on my list. My local LDS is a dealer for xDeep and Diverite so I figure I'd get something from one of those (also buying a BC for the GF so they said they would hook me up on the prices)

I'm thinking the Ghost but would the 37lb wing be way too much for warm water diving? Maybe the Zen with aluminum plate instead (although thats an even bigger wing). Perhaps the Diverite transplate single package with 25lb wing?

Are there any cheaper/better options than the xdeep quick release weight pockets? I've read reviews about weights partially falling out of them and would rather not have to deal with that.

the ghost wing is really too floppy for warm water imo and you will see significant tacoing. i would look at the zeos instead if you are sticking to one wing for both warm and cold.

dive rite also has some weight pockets available. not sure if cheaper than the xdeep version.

16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite

the ghost wing is really too floppy for warm water imo and you will see significant tacoing. i would look at the zeos instead if you are sticking to one wing for both warm and cold.

dive rite also has some weight pockets available. not sure if cheaper than the xdeep version.

16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite

How big of an issue is this "tacoing" problem? From my understanding, is it just the way the wing wraps around the tank? Is it just a drag issue? I would think that almost all wings would have that problem to some extent...

Other than the large lift capacity, I would have thought that the Ghost would have been designed with warm water diving in mind.

makes dumping the last bit of air harder because it can get stuck elevated away from the dump. the oxycheq style wings have a fairly rigid outer shell, so they don't taco as much.

Well the LDS had the base version of the Ghost (with 1 pc harness) in stock and gave me a great package deal on it with an Aqualung Lotus for the GF. Pumped to try it out next week! Going to just use a couple of trim pockets for weights to try and keep it as basic and streamlined as possible.

I'm trying to decide between these BPW options. We have mostly been traveling to warm water destinations and diving single 80s but also do some local cold water diving (with wetsuit and/or drysuit) and I have a few cold water destinations on my list. My local LDS is a dealer for xDeep and Diverite so I figure I'd get something from one of those (also buying a BC for the GF so they said they would hook me up on the prices)

I'm thinking the Ghost but would the 37lb wing be way too much for warm water diving? Maybe the Zen with aluminum plate instead (although thats an even bigger wing). Perhaps the Diverite transplate single package with 25lb wing?

Are there any cheaper/better options than the xdeep quick release weight pockets? I've read reviews about weights partially falling out of them and would rather not have to deal with that.
Go with the XDeep Ghost. The wing is not too much at all, you don't even notice it, it is super streamlined and the extra lift will come in handy for cold water diving where your lead requirements will increase.

Well the LDS had the base version of the Ghost (with 1 pc harness) in stock and gave me a great package deal on it with an Aqualung Lotus for the GF. Pumped to try it out next week! Going to just use a couple of trim pockets for weights to try and keep it as basic and streamlined as possible.
Didn't see this post before I posted that you should get the XDeep Ghost. Awesome! You will love it.

I also have the Ghost and would recommend it.
I only dive tropical and don't find the wing an issue at all. I don't have an issue getting air out. I agree with above, it is very streamlined.
I have a video of me on my 1st dive with it before I did any adjustments.

Well I put 18 dives on the Ghost during a recent trip to Bonaire. 1st dive or 2 was a little rough since I made very minimal adjustment but after I tightened the crotch strap up a bit it was much more secure. Probably need to tighten it up a bit more. In the water it was pretty comfortable. I found the easiest way to dump air was to just tip up a bit and use the inflator dump. I would have preferred another, lower D-ring on my right side strap for my octo. Overall I'm happy with it but I'll probably try to do a pool session with someone who is good at adjusting these before my next dive trip to get it dialed in a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom