Help me decide if getting my own gear makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, if you use the regulator in a pool or lake every few months that will probably exercise the soft parts enough. To be honest, that regulator I talked about that I still occasionally use, it often sits for a year or more before I use it, I service it every two or three years. Has it ever failed on me? NO, but it has performed poorly from time to time, making me wish I had serviced it more often.

Your point about a BC is well taken, however I would be more inclined to suggest that particular purchase not because you will become more familiar with the location of the stuff, but rather it will fit your body well. If you dive infrequently you will not really be familiar with the location of your stuff on the BC. If you dive often you WILL notice this advantage, but not much of a point for the infrequent diver. Just like a well fitting wet suit, a well fitting BC can really add to your comfort.

I think getting involved with a local dive club or active group of divers is the best thing you can do to promote your own personal safety. If you dive often you will keep the skills up, and the skills are far more important than the gear, because the skills are always how you deal with the eventuality of gear failures. Dive in the pool, the lake or quarry, but dive as often as you can.

Mark Vlahos
man just for that post... I now need to get in the water. As for skill... I know practice makes perfec but its also what you know and I have been reading more about scuba than ever befor. Thats got to be a good thing... right?

No one has mentioned this but in order to take an Oceanic service class you mus t be affiliated and sponsored by an lds. Also they will only sell parts to authorized service centers. Not techs but shops. If for instance I go to work for another place in the US I can't order parts myself. I still have to get them thru a dealer and for my warranty to be valid need to service them onsite. I also cannot service Aeris regs under warranty even though they are the same company unless I affiliate with an Aeris dealer and take the Aeris course. Not a big deal and as I work with three shops, one Oceanic, one Aeris, and the other neither I can get parts and service them at each location for whatever I need. I don't even get charged as I'm doing the work and the parts are covered in my lifetime warranty. SO bottom line if you want to service your regs it's not rocket science. If you want the free parts you gotta go thru the channels.

I am purchasing my own gear. Is it really necessary to service your reg if you only dive like 20-30 times a year?

:wink:
Here's something to think about that might change your mind about owning your own reg.

Do you really know how well it was cleaned after the last person who rented it threw up through it? You know, that guy with the really bad gum infection and the sores all over his mouth? :11: :gulp18:

Although I am purchasing my own gear I am going to try to forget that I ever read this!!! lol, j/k good point :wink:

aubie85:
Is it really necessary to service your reg if you only dive like 20-30 times a year?
YES!!! If you buy a new reg, keep up with annual service. A record of 20-30 dives / years is good - 3 / month.

YES!!! If you buy a new reg, keep up with annual service. A record of 20-30 dives / years is good - 3 / month.

Thanks....good to know! I should be receiving my gear next week....I love the Fed Ex man

I think that if you really want your own gear, a decent set of regs and a computer and mask and fins and a wetsuit if you want are more than adequate. You will find a BC may just be overkill and a pain to lug around. It really isn't difficult to switch between rental BC's once you know your diving skills and when your are neutral or as close to it as possible.

Get your own gear, the worse it will do is increase your net worth.........

I know this doesn't help much, but since I live by the sea, it reckon it's more costly not to have my own gear then to buy it.

Having said that, my study starts to resemble a dive shop - a wetsuit here, a drysyuit there, couple of regs, wing is there, backplate here, heaps of lead, my tank, a friends tank, etc...

The benefit? Whenever I feel like it, I just walk into the sea. :D

OTOH, I just had my regs serviced after 2 years, not that anything was wrong with them, just wanted to make sure they are ok and don't require any major overhaul. No problems there, and I'm set for at least next two years. Little care goes a long way, regardless of the gear.

Couple of things to consider, and they may have been mentioned but worth repeating.

1. Most resorts are going to give you low end gear. That means, even a regulator that is well-maintained will breathe ok, but not great. That can add to your stress level, and can make your dives shorter.

2. Regulators should be serviced once a year. This is what keeps you alive underwater! Don't just assume it is ok. Get the regulator checked out before you go on vacation.

3. You can purchase a nice scuba system (reg, octo, BCD and computer) for about $1500 from your LDS.

4. If you do purchase, buy nice stuff. Don't go get the cheapest regulator or computer to save a few bucks. You may as well rent.

5. You can buy a nice regulator (Atomic, Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Apex) for $400-600. Find a LDS you trust and buy from them, have them service and test it for you. Again, this is what keeps you alive underwater and it is important that you maintain it properly.

6. Get a BCD that has enough lift for you, and the features you prefer. You can find a good one for vacation diving for $300-500.

7. As for computers, I would go air intergrated, but you will spend a little more. It makes a HUGE difference having a digital readout of how much air you have at depth. My favorites include Aeris/Oceanic, Sherwood and Suunto. Air intergrated will run $500-950. Whatever you buy, figure out how to use it BEFORE you go on vacation.

8. Once you purchase your gear, ask your LDS if you can get into the pool and test drive your gear 1-2 times before your vacation. I would also test it in the pool each time before you leave on vacation.

Owning your own equipment has a lot of value. You will know how it was serviced and maintained. You know exactly how it works and feel comfortable in it. You are not having to figure out weighting and configuration each time you go on vacation. Because you are more comfortable, you will find your buoyancy is better, and air consumption will go down. You will get longer, more comfortable and enjoyable dives. That means your vacation is more relaxing and more fun. Wait...isn't that WHY we go on vacation?

I hope this info helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom