Help me decide if getting my own gear makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another way to look at it - the "wear" caused by just sitting around, is to parts that get replaced in service. So yes a reg that's been sitting for a year may be in worse shape than one that's been seeing action. But this wear is not permanent, a service should bring things back on par. You're not permanently hurting a reg by not using it.

So you have a reg that's been sitting around for a year or 2 - if you get it serviced or at least checked before a trip, and have a chance to check it in at least a pool before you go someplace, you should be in good shape and minimize the possibility that they goofed up something in service - odds are good you will be happier with your own reg than a rental.

If you throw that same reg in your suitcase with no service or checkout, then you're asking for a problem sooner or later and you might have better luck with the rentals at any reasonable place.

jim thank you for commenting...
I think 14-15K in purchased gear is far more expensive than $50 to rent it, don't you :)

how difficult/costly is it to become an oceanic tech? Just wondering. Thanks

Coralcrazed, I am waiting to take a Poseidon Tech class, it's $350. I thought the price is not too bad considering that I have many Poseidons and my family have the Poseidons. So, completion of class, I should be able to do annually service for the family's and my regs.

Try the Oceanic regs first if you like them and will stay with them for life, then you should consider taking a class. It makes sense, since taking a reg tech class is expensive. Not to mention, you have to pay to get the parts to replace the existing parts in regulators/first stages as well. Also, you have to get specific tools for the regs. I did think about that and decided that I will be Poseidon person for life.

So I apologize for the troll remark and no hard feelings. I'd edit out the troll comment but then these posts wouldn't make sense historically. I hope you get the answers you're looking for.
oh boy... this is getting no where so either post thread related info. or just move on. K? Please leave your troll remark for history sake, it matters not. whatever makes you happy.:shakehead:

Coralcrazed, I am waiting to take a Poseidon Tech class, it's $350. I thought the price is not too bad considering that I have many Poseidons and my family have the Poseidons. So, completion of class, I should be able to do annually service for the family's and my regs.

Try the Oceanic regs first if you like them and will stay with them for life, then you should consider taking a class. It makes sense, since taking a reg tech class is expensive. Not to mention, you have to pay to get the parts to replace the existing parts in regulators/first stages as well. Also, you have to get specific tools for the regs. I did think about that and decided that I will be Poseidon person for life.

hmnnn great point. I sorta want to jump in head first but I see your point of pacing myself... thanks

another way to look at it - the "wear" caused by just sitting around, is to parts that get replaced in service. So yes a reg that's been sitting for a year may be in worse shape than one that's been seeing action. But this wear is not permanent, a service should bring things back on par. You're not permanently hurting a reg by not using it.

So you have a reg that's been sitting around for a year or 2 - if you get it serviced or at least checked before a trip, and have a chance to check it in at least a pool before you go someplace, you should be in good shape and minimize the possibility that they goofed up something in service - odds are good you will be happier with your own reg than a rental.

If you throw that same reg in your suitcase with no service or checkout, then you're asking for a problem sooner or later and you might have better luck with the rentals at any reasonable place.

Good points again... and I can see how someone might think that since I did not use the reg for a year it must be good to go. thanks

To address your concerns on safety. Rental equipment is often lower end gear that is frequently used and sometimes poorly cared for, usually by other renters, not the shop. Rental gear may get more frequent maintenance than somthing you might purchase, but it usually gets used more often too. You do need to consider that even if you buy the best piece of gear available and have it maintained regularly, it can still fail, perhaps rental gear is more likely to fail than purchased gear, but a part of that is YOU. If you own it you still need to check it.

It is true that a regulator that sits completely unused for a year or more may be more of a risk to use than one that has been used once a week for the same period of time. Why? O-Rings and other sealing surfaces may tend to flatten out if they are not used. I can not tell you what is best for you. If you dive enough you will eventually want to own your own gear, are you there yet? Will that happen in the next year, or never? Lots of new divers buy gear that sits for several years before they finally get rid of it.

I have a good friend who dives several times a year, he has been renting for years and is very happy with that arrangement. When he finishes a dive he simply returns the rental gear and lets the shop rinse it out etc... This works well for him and actually saves him lots of time. You need to pick what works for you.

Mark Vlahos

I totally understand what you are saying... I guess I'm a bit frustrated as I have been resurching gear for a while now under the notion that if I buy my own gear it will make me a safer diver. For the most part I have to trust that it WILL. because as someone said having your own bc will make you know where the items are and have that comfort level. However, I am having a tough time seeing the same of the reg. in fact I hear what you are saying and basically it comes down to this... If I buy a reg than I need to service it... if not yearly than at the least before I use it. that will be added cost and thats it I guess. If I use it more often than perhaps I will eventually get my moneys worth. I hope at the end of the day it will make me a safer diver. this was my main concern all along and is the reason that I am considering putting in time and money.

question... if I pool dive the reg every so often will that work for the reg? of course I would still need to service once a year. but someone said to start diving local lakes which sounds like it might be fun. at least I hav'nt tried it, probably cause I did not have my own gear ect.

thanks again for all of the time you put into this thread! much appreciated.

Well, you asked for it.

My first BC was a vest style BC. I still have it, but I never use it. Eventually switched to a Zeagle back inflate, liked it but now never use it. I now dive a backplate and wing, far more appropriate for my current diving. It does work for normal recreational diving, but it is almost a requirement for cave diving.

A similar evolution with a computer. The first one did not have NITROX capability (this was normal at the time). I outgrew it when I started using NITROX. I replaced it with another and eventually out grew that one as I started planned decompression diving.

Silly things like fins have followed similar patterns, I'm now on my third set of fins, actually evolving forward to the oldest design I have used the ScubaPro Jet fins.

Knives, I first got a big "pig sticker" which I never used. I replaced it with a small BC knife, and now use a "Z" knife and EMT Shears.

The list is seemingly endless but you will discover that whatever you get first is not likely to meet your eventual desires. Most recreational divers would have stopped at my second set of gear and been quite happy in the long term, but I continued on the path to more technical diving profiles. You probably won't do this, most divers don't.

When I get in the water for a cave dive I am wearing well over $4000 worth of gear and I have spent as much on training along the way, you don't need that to dive a coral reef in the Bahamas. :)

Good Luck,

Mark Vlahos

Thank you for that... It brought me back down to earth. I can definatly see how that could happen to anyone who enjoys anything. Funny, I have a saltwater reef tank. and lets just say its very very big... well, when I started out I thought hey this is kinda cheap... I can afford this, I'll just start with some nice blue damsel fish in a 10 gallon... boy did that change quickly and than it started... from a 10 to a 30 to a 75 ect ect ect. and all allong the way I'm thinking should I just super size the darn thing?
and there it is... Honestly I don't thing I'll ever dive a cave, not in my blood... however, having more than one setup and one of those cool scuba jet things is a very real possability and perhaps that is what I'm afraid of the most... :D

question... if I pool dive the reg every so often will that work for the reg? of course I would still need to service once a year. but someone said to start diving local lakes which sounds like it might be fun. at least I hav'nt tried it, probably cause I did not have my own gear ect.

thanks again for all of the time you put into this thread! much appreciated.

Yes, if you use the regulator in a pool or lake every few months that will probably exercise the soft parts enough. To be honest, that regulator I talked about that I still occasionally use, it often sits for a year or more before I use it, I service it every two or three years. Has it ever failed on me? NO, but it has performed poorly from time to time, making me wish I had serviced it more often.

Your point about a BC is well taken, however I would be more inclined to suggest that particular purchase not because you will become more familiar with the location of the stuff, but rather it will fit your body well. If you dive infrequently you will not really be familiar with the location of your stuff on the BC. If you dive often you WILL notice this advantage, but not much of a point for the infrequent diver. Just like a well fitting wet suit, a well fitting BC can really add to your comfort.

I think getting involved with a local dive club or active group of divers is the best thing you can do to promote your own personal safety. If you dive often you will keep the skills up, and the skills are far more important than the gear, because the skills are always how you deal with the eventuality of gear failures. Dive in the pool, the lake or quarry, but dive as often as you can.

Mark Vlahos

Here's something to think about that might change your mind about owning your own reg.

Do you really know how well it was cleaned after the last person who rented it threw up through it? You know, that guy with the really bad gum infection and the sores all over his mouth? :11: :gulp18:

Here's something to think about that might change your mind about owning your own reg.

Do you really know how well it was cleaned after the last person who rented it threw up through it? You know, that guy with the really bad gum infection and the sores all over his mouth? :11: :gulp18:

Ok now, that I let go of m breakfast... yes I did think about that and always have. Its one real reason that I'm thinking of it. A bit more of a visual for me though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom