Question Help me choose my first Mares regulator please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebit

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a new open water diver getting into the hobby, and see myself diving several times per month continuously going forward.

I live in a colder water environment and am looking for a quality regulator that can last me for both recreational and more technical diving if I decide to go that route in the future. Mares is quite popular locally, so parts and service are cheap, which is why I want to choose between the below two regs:

Mares Fusion 72X - top end rec regulator
Mares 28XR - used more for technical diving, but can be used recreationally too

Would really appreciate a decent comparison between the two, since online comparisons are too technical for my current knowledge.

What temperature are you talking about when you say colder water environment as it may make a difference to people's recommendations.

50 - 60 degrees F. But it would be great if it worked well around the world on diving trips.

Mares Abyss, they are bullet proof and there aren't any levers or knobs to fiddle around with. I have been diving my MR 22 Abyss for about 23 years down to water temps of about 38 degrees F and it has never free flowed or failed me.

I second the Abyss. The lack of any adjustments was the reason for me to purchase it and its soo easy to breathe at any depth.

MR22 as 1st stage is bullet proof, I've combined my Abyss 2nd and Octo with a MR52X and I have no complaints.

Mares technician, and mares owner here.
If you are thinking 72, just get the 82. You don't need 8 low pressure ports.

Also, the 62x can have the same twin balanced piston cold water kit installed as comes standard on the 28xr. It's about $150 ish. Same goes for the 82x, which is what I dive. Might save you a few $$$

The Abyss + 22, is older, and rock solid if you can find one.

As for seconds, get the Dual Adjustable unless you are in reaaaly cold ice water diving. Then the Epic, which is coated in magic sauce, all metal, is a good option if you want to spend the money.

Most of the new 1st stages come with AST, which is a one way valve preventing water ingress should you for some reason remove the 1st stage under water.

However, and finally, I was thinking the 28xr only comes in a twin set, but that may be a US market thing, which is much less robust than the EU offerings....

Little hint... Sea Shepard sells a regulator set under their own brand that consists of an MR22T and Abyss :wink:
Apparently only in Germany, but 300 Euro is a hell of a deal if you can get it shipped to you. Here's an example: # Sea Shepherd - Atemregler OP Swordfish - mit MR22T | Atemregler | Atemregler - 1. & 2. Stufe

atl-seashRG02.jpg

That's the old Turbo faceplate on the Abyss, but it can be replaced with any other Abyss faceplate including the one on the new HR.

Apparently only in Germany, but 300 Euro is a hell of a deal if you can get it shipped to you.

The shop you've quoted, TS Heinemann, is owned by my german local dive shop Atlantis Berlin. And with them I have the best experiences about shipping. Last time they have managed to send three tanks from Berlin to Cyprus (but with dismantled valves due to shipping restrictions by DHL) at relativly low shipping costs.

Perhaps worth asking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom