Help me choose between Hog 32 and Hollis 25 wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT Sean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

I'm transitioning from a standard BC to a BP/W and am trying to decide which I should get. The Hollis 25 lb wing or the Hog 32lb wing. I understand that the wing should be capable of both:

1. Floating my rig without me in it (which is no problem either way w/ an AL backplate and my weight on a weight belt)
2. Has enough lift to compensate for gas use and exposure suit compression. Here is where I'm having the problem.

Currently I dive up here (in New England) with AL80's and a 7mm one piece suit and it'll probably stay that way for a while.

AL 80 = 6lb buoyancy loss so with the Hollis wing I'd have 19 lbs to "dedicate" to wetsuit compression. I found an old thread on here that gave a rule of thumb of 1 lb of weight suit weight = 3lb of buoyancy. My suit weights 5 lbs so thats possibly 15 pounds buoyant.

So finally the actual question (I know it took a while to get here) Is it actually reasonable to say that a wetsuit could lose ALL or nearly all of of its buoyancy - making the 25lb Hollis wing perhaps "too close for comfort" for my application? Am I better off having a slightly larger margin of error than the Hollis provides?

thanks

Sean

A wet suit loses most of its buoyancy in the first few atmospheres. While your thinking is for your current diving think about you future diving. Could you perhaps add a can light to your rig? What if you decided to switch to a SS backplate? What if you switch to a steel cylinder? What if you added weight to your back plate. What about going to a dry suit? All of which would add weight to your rig.

Given all that, if you were diving exclusively warm water I would say the 25lb would be fine but I would probably go with a bit more lift for future needs.

You are both on target also as your wetsuit gets older you it lose buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom