Help me choose a backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjr0112

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need a backup light and I'm stuck between two, the Penetrater 220 and the Intova Ultra Torch. I'm leaning towards the Penetrator 220 due to a very good deal at Piranha. I just need a backup light to keep in the BC pocket, not for night dives or low viz, other than your general lack of viz, diving in Michigan.

The light output would appear to be more or less the same. The Penetrator uses 6 AAA cells and switches using a twisting head and the Intova uses 6 AA cells and switches using a magnetic switch.

I don't really have a preference on a type of switch. I am guessing the most popular type would be twist type, only due to a less of chance of it accidently getting turned on, but I would only be making an assumption
I did see that they took different size batteries, but I really didn't put any thought behind it. My question now is only due to my lack of knowledge. What disadvantage (if any) does the Penetrator have with using 6AAA?

All I can say is....lightmonkey

Is it really worth the price difference? There is a 60 dollar difference from the Penetrator and the 2w light monkey and over 100 for the 3W light monkey. I understand you get what you pay for but thats a pretty big jump.

Actually none as far as I'm concerned. I like the Dorcy lights. I have the 180 lumen models. 4 of them. I had 5 but gave one to my GF. I wanted her to have a light she could trust and rely on in the water and out. They are my back up lights and the lights I give to my AOW students who may show up without a back up. I require AOW to have a primary and a back up.

Been using them for over 3 years now with no issues. Nice tight beam- like a light saber underwater. Excellent primary for warm clear water or very good backup.

I don't really have a preference on a type of switch. I am guessing the most popular type would be twist type, only due to a less of chance of it accidently getting turned on, but I would only be making an assumption
I did see that they took different size batteries, but I really didn't put any thought behind it. My question now is only due to my lack of knowledge. What disadvantage (if any) does the Penetrator have with using 6AAA?

Runtime.

What disadvantage (if any) does the Penetrator have with using 6AAA?

Compactness (since you're putting it in a pocket). I'm using one on my right D-ring
with a much bigger Photon Torpedo on the left. You may as well go for the fatter wallet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom