Help!! Learning to Dive in Oct. Utila or Roatan and which dive shop?? Too Many!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my opinion but I found the diving much move varied and less crowded on Utila. The reefs are in very good shape around all of utila, highly recommended.

I would definately do the classwork (and pool work if possible) before coming as others have stated. You can just enjoy diving and bring your book along for reference.

If you do decide to dive in utila I can tell you that deep blue dive resort is amazing. I would have loved to have learned to dive from the resort divemaster/instructor Matt. Great guy, knows his diving from tec to rebreathers and is really chill.

Mike

Thanks everyone...I'm going to take the PADI e-learning and might decide on Deep Blue and then head to Roatan afterwards to do some more diving after I get my Advanced OW.

If I was going to do OW on Utilia, based on my experience when I was there a few years ago, I would go with Deep Blue. Just make sure they still take you to clean diving water in the course and not that filthy bay the others use.

Attachments

• Top-137.jpg
    Top-137.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 33
I travel to Honduras many times each year for business and whenever possible I slip up to the islands for some bubbles. I prefer Utila for the quaint and 3rd country feel. I stay with Desmond and Dilcia at the Relax Inn. It's a very simple but clean Inn. Desmond doesn't put up with the party animal guest. It's a quiet place!! Diving: I really appreciate the friendly folks at Cross Creek. I did my OW - Rescue at Utila Dive Centre (UDC). I then went over to Cross Creek to do my Divemaster. I'm now an Instructor and have been to many dive shops and met many instructors. The friendly and professional instructors at UDC and Cross Creek are excellent! The combination of the laid back island, the people, the great instructors and the awesome diving make Utila my best pick. Roatan is a great place but I've never connected to a particular dive shop. Give Frankie a call at Morgan's Travel to arrange your flight to/from the Island. 504-425-3161. Also, Aqua Dreams in Florida can arrange travel to Utila. Happy Bubbles!!

I learned to dive at the Bay Islands College of Diving on Utila. Scott, my instructor was fantastic! The entire staff definitely made me feel comfortable. I found that being able to do my confined water training in a pool a good way to be introduced to diving instead of just going off the dock into the bay.

Julio, the manager there is a really great guy and can help you answer any questions you might have.

Good luck and have fun diving!

DandyDon,

Can you expand a bit more on
Swimmers ear infections. I use homemade alcohol-vinegar mix or buy at store, but use it early and often.
Othewise you can ruin your trip

I got water in my ear infection last November and it was a pain to get rid of (had to take antobiotics) and my ears are still pretty sensitive to the water. Although I have not had any issues clearing on my first 9 dives. I am still a bit paranoid on the ears getting infected again.

Russell

Hello Whistlergirl,

I will be in Roatan on Oct 10 to 18. never been there before but what what I have heard it pretty much a full dive destination (have quite a few decompression chambers on the Island) ...Few other sites and activities but mostly diving. I have already picked a shop - Mayan divers - I have also heard good things about Coconut tree divers. October is a slow month so it should be easy for you to book once you are there. From my research the West Bay beach seems to be the place to be....

I would also recommend that you do your open water certification before going on your trip so you can truely maximise the time there diving and not reading books, taking exams, doing skills etc.

Barbados Bubbles

I got water in my ear infection last November and it was a pain to get rid of (had to take antobiotics) and my ears are still pretty sensitive to the water. Although I have not had any issues clearing on my first 9 dives. I am still a bit paranoid on the ears getting infected again.
IANAD but I'm something of a subject matter expert on ear infections. There is a difference between swimmer's ear (otitis externa) and a middle ear infection (acute otitis media).

Swimmer's ear is in your ear canal (that's the place you aren't supposed to put qtips :eyebrow:); it is quite painful and although its preventable using homeopathic solutions (like the drops Don mentions), the only treatment that has ever worked once I have swimmer's ear are eardrops that my doctor has to write a prescription for. This shouldn't impact your ability to clear your ears, since its on the outside of the eardrum. An ear dryer costs about a benjamin but if you are subject to swimmer's ear, drying out the ear with an ear dryer will prevent a lot of problems without worrying if you have the right combination of isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar. FWIW, my doctor recommends a very different regimen for me than what most divers seem to use. OBTW, surfer's ear is something entirely different but an ear dryer is also an excellent preventative for those that spend or have spent a lot of time in cold water.

Middle ear infections usually (for me anyway) set in after a cold or sinus problem. It plugs up the middle ear or Eustachian tubes between the middle ear and the glands under the chin, the Eustachian tubes are what you actually use to equalize pressure when you descend. Its kinda gross (understatement) but some people with sinus issues have found flushing the sinuses the best way to keep ahead of ear clearing problems. Don's signature also has a link to a video that explains ear clearing issues better than anything else I've ever seen.

HTH

John

Thanks John.

I did a little research too and do realize that what I had was the middle ear infection but still after getting in the water my right ear (the one that originally had the infection) feels like it has water left over in it. It does pass after a day or so (so far). I will have to look into the ear dryer, that might be an interesting option for me.

Russell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom