Help!! Learning to Dive in Oct. Utila or Roatan and which dive shop?? Too Many!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi - I have never been diving but am an avid snorkeler. I have been trying to choose between Roatan and Utila to take my PADI Open Water and then move on to Advanced.
My head spins when trying to choose a dive shop and accommodation. We are one couple and do not party that much as we live in a resort town (Whistler, BC) and we are trying to escape to learn to dive and relax on the beach. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We want good dive instructors and comfortable accommodation. Comfy beds, clean and aircon would be great.

I enjoy snorkeling but panic a tiny bit at first when entering the water but become very comfortable later in the day and trip. A good dive shop with patient instructors is needed.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi - I have never been diving but am an avid snorkeler. I have been trying to choose between Roatan and Utila to take my PADI Open Water and then move on to Advanced.
My head spins when trying to choose a dive shop and accommodation. We are one couple and do not party that much as we live in a resort town (Whistler, BC) and we are trying to escape to learn to dive and relax on the beach. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We want good dive instructors and comfortable accommodation. Comfy beds, clean and aircon would be great.

I enjoy snorkeling but panic a tiny bit at first when entering the water but become very comfortable later in the day and trip. A good dive shop with patient instructors is needed.

Thanks in advance! :)

do you have a dive shop in your area where you can do the classroom and pool sessions? If you can, do that, then you only have to do the Open Water dives (4) when you get to your vacation destination. The last thing you want to do on vacation is spend 2 days sitting in a classroom going over tables and such. Also, the pool sessions are very important as they give you time to learn how to equalize your ears properly and relax underwater. If you are doing the classroom & pool on vacation, the sessions may be rushed more than you need. Do those at home if you can for the best results.

:D

Great advice there from ROBINT. Also you don't HAVE to stay at the place you choose to dive sometimes there are savings, but often not.

I recommend buying a flight and booking a hotel and then choosing your dive center once you have met them, seen their boats and know who your instructor will be.

Have a look at Posada Arco Iris (especially good for their beach), Cocolobo, Casa del Sol. Very nice places to stay, catering to different budgets.

If the Beach is REALLY important try Bananarama. They are on one of the nicest beaches around, but the cost reflects that.

Then When you get here dive with whoever you feel most comfortable with.

I like Robin's idea, cover any medical or training obstacles at home - plus you need to buy your own mask, snorkel, fins anyway. I certified in the Sporting Goods store snorkel gear I used to snorkel with ok, but you'd be better off with better qualify best bought at home.

The biggest problem with :newbie:s is with ears...
> Equalizing at 15 feet, which cannot be learned in most pools, but there is a good video in my Sig below that can help a lot; and
> Swimmers ear infections. I use homemade alcohol-vinegar mix or buy at store, but use it early and often.
Othewise you can ruin your trip.

DAN dive insurance is essential and Travel Safe trip insurance would be a good idea...

Thanks everyone!!
ROBINT...I took your advice and looked up a dive shop (closest is 2 hours from Whistler in Vancouver) they do offer the referral PADI for the OW. I might do this first as you suggest to save myself time.

Bay Island Diver - thanks for your suggestions. I have booked a flight and have contacted many dive shops but they all say to book in advance?? I know October is the slow season but I was going to do what you recommend and go see them in person before I book. Do you think that would be an issue? I have looked up all the places you suggest...so many to choose from! Also..where to start first...Utila or Roatan?

Wow, from Whistler to Bay Islands. Bigggg change. No glaciers, but lots of biting sand bugs. Both lovely places tho, from what I've seen - just totally different.

Roatan is more developed than Utila, even West End. Which you prefer would depend on your mostly. Of course they all want you to book in advance, but you shouldn't need to.

Wow, from Whistler to Bay Islands. Bigggg change.

I think things might be cheaper in the Bay Islands. No Molson, either~ that might be good.:rofl3:

Thanks everyone!!
ROBINT...I took your advice and looked up a dive shop (closest is 2 hours from Whistler in Vancouver) they do offer the referral PADI for the OW. I might do this first as you suggest to save myself time.

Bay Island Diver - thanks for your suggestions. I have booked a flight and have contacted many dive shops but they all say to book in advance?? I know October is the slow season but I was going to do what you recommend and go see them in person before I book. Do you think that would be an issue? I have looked up all the places you suggest...so many to choose from! Also..where to start first...Utila or Roatan?

Roatan...You say you are not big partiers. There is very little to do on Utila except to dive and to party. It's tons of fun, and the diving is fabulous, but there is lots more to do on Roatan besides party.

Have a great trip

When on Roatan, I usually stay at the Mariposa lodge Mariposa Lodge - Home it is owned by a cool anglo couple from Montreal; I would suggest picking the air conditioned room furthest back on the property.

As for dive shops, visit them all and pick one you feel comfortable with, they're all hungry for your business.

Utila is a little rustic and can be a bit of an adventure, check out this website for details -> Utila Official Site - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras - Tropical Island Paradise.

Airfare, I live in the Vancouver area and fly with Continental out of Seattle (SEA) as it is way cheaper than Vancouver (YVR), about $400.00 less money.

Check out this link for transportation to Seattle -> http://www.quickcoach.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom