Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle:
you then turtled and had a particular male dive buddy fall on top of you. LOL!! Sorry, couldn't resist. That was a funny day. Yep, busted my butt exiting that day too. :D
Thats not the same day as....nevermind.

JeffG:
Thats not the same day as....nevermind.

We're talking about BabyDuck, right? Oh no, not the same guy....oops...i meant "day." :D

suthnbelle:
Oh no, not the same guy....oops...i meant "day." :D
or e) "all of the above"

:wink:

I haven't completely fallen over....as of YET and I'm definitely not going to rule it out. :D

I've gone down on my knee's a couple of times but, I've always managed to get back up. Actually I think it was at E beach on Oahu. I was having a slight struggle getting out and then the perfect little wave gave me a boost out of the water but, what I didn't know was, there was a wave right behind it. That one was the one that knocked me down. My knee landed a bulls eye on top of a rock under the sand, luckily the rock seemed pretty flat. Never saw it but, I sure felt it. I forget if anyone lent me a hand up or not. It was also warmer water, so I wasn't wearing as much led as I do here in Cali.

I'm assuming if I went down all the way and couldn't get up, I would either crawl out or crawl back into the water and start over on the exit, or if I was on my back, roll over to get in position to get up? I'm only assuming because it hasn't happened yet. (watch it'll happen now, lol).

If I fell in my dry suit plus almost double the weight in led, I would have to say, that I would NOT be able to get up without help. I can barely get up onto my boat without taking my weights out of my BC.

normally, jeff would be correct - e) all of the above. but nobody wants the pregger chick.

mel, didn't you see where i said i couldn't do that in surf? that's the specific day i was thinking about! it was fun, though...

I think I have managed to get up once with an AL 80 and 27 lbs. of lead on but most of the time hubby helps me. I did a lot of biking and weight lifting last year particularly working on my thighs and they haven't went to jelly yet so I don't know what the problem is, I guess finning around for 45 minutes wears the legs out or something (I have only had a problem AFTER the dive)

fairybasslet:
I fell on a rough shore entry in Bonaire. I was so worried about my strobe and camera housing that I didn't even try to get up holding them. I protected them the first time, I didn't think I'd be able to do it again. So I just kind of floated out to where I could get my fins on. I don't think I looked very graceful.
My wife was in the same situation although without a camera. She had challenges with the rough shores at some of the dive sites. A bigger problem was when she was climbing stairs at one of the sites (not 1000 steps, another site). She slipped and fell into the bushes along the side of the path. Ended up with a break in one of the bones of her wrist. I was in front of her on the path. I stay behind her now when we are climbing stairs etc. while in dive gear to act as some support.

tedtim:
I stay behind her now when we are climbing stairs etc. while in dive gear to act as some support.

I want my hubby behind me because I want something cushiony to fall on, heh heh:eyebrow: Most of the time he unsuspectingly obliges...

Luckily at 5' tall, my fall is pretty short...

But on my 6th dive...still not sure of how I was even able to walk with all of the gear on (BTW, my instructor had me overweighted with 45# of lead for my drysuit...) I did the turtle fall. Onto my tank, legs in the air, wedged between a "stair"and a hard place. Luckily, my buddy was there...righted me up and I trudged the rest of the way.

I've learned to ask for assistance when the stair/rock ledges are higher than my knees, and dropping 20# off of my weightbelt has also been a big help. It's not that I'm weak (by ANY MEANS...) but I am short, and sometimes the laws of physics get in the way!

Maybe turtle recovery should be part of the introduction to doubles course.

I imagine most of us would struggle if we ended up flat on our backs with doubles on plus full weights plus drysuit etc.

Doing this tired and cold on a rough rocky surface, a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom