Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of gear? In a single AL80 I can get up and down easily and have been known to lay on my back (on my tank) on the dock rather than stand and wait for overly pokey buddies. Never tried it in doubles though, not sure if I could get up if totally turtled but I could probably manage if I was on my side or face down where I could get on my knees and use my legs to power myself upright.
Ber :lilbunny:

I watched my GUE instructor crawl back into the water to get up, after he fell in his doubles, so I have NO embarrassment about not being able to manage that.

But I've fallen twice in my singles rig with an LP 95, and I can't get up without significant assistance, and it irritates the dickens out of me. Of course, I'm lucky enough to have some great big, strong dive buddies who don't seem to hold it against me when they have to pick me up :)

TSandM:
I watched my GUE instructor crawl back into the water to get up, after he fell in his doubles, so I have NO embarrassment about not being able to manage that.

But I've fallen twice in my singles rig with an LP 95, and I can't get up without significant assistance, and it irritates the dickens out of me. Of course, I'm lucky enough to have some great big, strong dive buddies who don't seem to hold it against me when they have to pick me up :)

TSandM, I have particulary strong legs but I am thinking even if you did (which you may) is it still even possible for you? I seem to remember thinking you are petite, is that correct? Either way, I can relate to the frustration of not being capable of doing something that you have the will to.

do some squats?

I can get up--barely.

When I am not exercising it gets tougher pretty fast.

A lot of it can be handled with good body mechanics.

Well, I really ought to hit the gym, and I know it, but I keep telling myself that walking up and down hills and stairs in my doubles does the same thing . . . :)

I think I could probably get up in an Al 80 with no weight (which is how I dive in the tropics). But with an LP 95 and 28 pounds of weight, it's not happening. And by the time I dump the weight belt, I may as well get out of the gear.

If I fall on my back with doubles, forget about it. Drag me out to sea and let me reset myself. There is too much mass on my back and not enough leverage.

On dry land in street clothes I can go from the sitting position to standing up by rolling over to all fours, taking a knee and standing up.

The issue is we never seem to fall over in our street clothes on a stable surface. No we fall over in ankle to waist deep water with pounding surf and shifting sand. At that point even the simplest tasks become difficult and the moderate tasks become impossible. That is what the buddy is there for.

On a side note, I sometime wonder if shorediving can be more dangerous than boat as far as forgetting to open your valves. Speaking for myself, before doing a giant stride I always have to put a good blast of air in my wing, but while shore diving I often find myself striding into the water before starting to hit the inflator. On your back with water two inches over your head is a poor time to discover that one forgot to turn on the air supply.

That is what the buddy is there for.

And you, KMD, of all people, know THAT!

(KMD was the one who saved me when I got rolled in the surf in my doubles at Monastery Beach.)

For the most part, I've managed to do what others have done- turn myself to get up on all fours. Can't imagine trying this in doubles, though...:shakehead

KMD:
If I fall on my back with doubles, forget about it. Drag me out to sea and let me reset myself. There is too much mass on my back and not enough leverage.

That first bit is what I was trying to say - u did a much better job. :D

TSandM:
Well, I really ought to hit the gym, and I know it, but I keep telling myself that walking up and down hills and stairs in my doubles does the same thing . . . :)

I think I could probably get up in an Al 80 with no weight (which is how I dive in the tropics). But with an LP 95 and 28 pounds of weight, it's not happening. And by the time I dump the weight belt, I may as well get out of the gear.

I "snooze" on my back on the dock in my drysuit with the AL80 and 28-30 pounds of lead in my weight harness. Not sure how much an LP95 weighs in comparison to the AL80.

I was wearing double 100's on my back one day and to prove a point I "bear hugged" and carried my dive buddie's double 100's from his truck tailgate to the picnic table. I'm not as strong as I used to be but if the load is centered and balanced and I can get my legs in position to use them efficiently I can move a lot of weight.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom