Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
To my fellow female divers: If you fall in your gear, can you get up again?

I can't, and it annoys me. I'm wondering if I'm just particularly feeble, or if this is actually pretty common.

Wow....

I'm curious as to the answers that come here. I could imagine that that might produce some extremely dangerous situations depending on where and how you fall.

That's why, any time there's a risk, I've got a regulator in my mouth! I can also get out of my gear fairly quickly and easily.

I had this problem doing a beach dive in Ft. Lauderdale. As we were coming back to shore, the waves pushed me over, and I could not push myself back up, especially since I was trying to keep my camera out of the sand with one hand. Of course, no one sitting on the beach offers to help, they just sit and stare. I finally got one of my kids, to grab my camera so I could use both hands to stand back up. Needless to say, I felt like a beached whale that day.

I've fallen and been able to get up. My wife however cannot, I've pulled her up a couple times.

When we first started diving she couldn't get up from a sitting position if she was wearing her gear. She can do that now though.

Is this when you wear doubles or also in singles rig?

I can get up if I fall in my singles rig assuming I have not I injured myself (and wish not to get up to further worsen the situation) or if I have not trapped myself somehow. “Fall” sounds so bad though that in many cases I might choose to be helped up anyway to protect myself or my gear even if I basically am able to get up.

Currently I doubt my ability to get up (safely) if I went down with doubles on my back, so I am holding off on that. I basically doubt if I could even do some lesser than ‘falls’ on doubles (like squatting, picking up etc especially on unsteady ground).

Also… I like ‘taking myself down’ ie falling before I fall. This is a great way of avoiding falling for real and assuring you are in a great position to get up.

I fell on a rough shore entry in Bonaire. I was so worried about my strobe and camera housing that I didn't even try to get up holding them. I protected them the first time, I didn't think I'd be able to do it again. So I just kind of floated out to where I could get my fins on. I don't think I looked very graceful. :rofl3:

TSandM:
To my fellow female divers: If you fall in your gear, can you get up again?

I can't, and it annoys me. I'm wondering if I'm just particularly feeble, or if this is actually pretty common.
In my doubles 130's, no, I need a pole/wall or something to put one hand on.

I'm not sure too many guys would be able to get up if they were on their back with doubles on.

I know that I can get up from a sitting position on the ground with doubles on, but it is all technique. I basically, roll sideways onto all fours and stand up from there. Imagine an old man with a bad back trying to get up. :D

I fell for the first time last week at Venice Beach. Mind you I was trying to get up a sandy cliff with a hand I had just had surgery on0. I did it but it wasn't easy :shakehead Now on a hard platform it isn't a problem. I actually gear up kneeling on one boat I go out on a lot. I then put on foot on the floor, with knee bent, place my hand on my thigh and stand. The latter is not a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom