Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I can't get up if I fall in my full gear set up. It hapenned to me May this year....
It was after the dive, I already took the fins off and was going out. But the stones were slippery so I fall.

mania1.jpg

So I had to ask for help.....

mania2.jpg

After this I did some gym and it was better but still not sure whther I would be able to stand up....

Mania

I fell three times trying to get out of the water last Saturday in doubles. The shore is made of small, smooth stones, and where we were trying to exit, they were very loose and would give way under my feet. I waved my buddies off and crawled to water deep enough that I could stand up again. No point giving anybody a hernia trying to lift me and my tanks! I finally succeeded by getting to an area where the stones were better compacted.

One of the things I tell any new dive buddy is that the point in a dive where I am MOST likely to need assistance is getting out of the water. It may just be a quick hand for some balance to step over something, but I ask them not to run off and leave me just because the "dive" is over.

Personally, I haven't turtled. I have fallen over in strong surf and even lost balance on land (fortunately able to catch myself. My wife has fallen a couple of times in her doubles, and not in her doubles. We took some hard hits on the NJ shore before we called the dive. But the funniest fall was when she was trying out a new (used) dry suit, full thickness 7mm with undergarments. She was like the Pillsbury Dough Girl. She couldn't bend her elbows or knees. She managed to bend down to put her gear on and tumbled on her back, no gear yet. After I stopped laughing I helped her up. We sold that suit and bought a compressed neoprene suit that works much better! :D

Mania's pictures inspired me to test if I could get up from a turtle position. I could do it, but it was in my living room and just the doubles and BP- no drysuit, regs, wing, or other gear. I would probably be harder while wearing the rest of the toys.

Then I tried plan B- I turtled again, and made sure I could slip out of the harness and stand up- easy peasy. Of course, in waves or surf, it might get a little more complicated.

I heard a story of someone who turtled in 12' of water with doubles on and valves closed. Buddy forgot something in the parking lot, ran into another friend, didn't return to the basin for a few minutes... Part of the problem was he couldn't reach back to turn on his valves and also couldn't turn over. My z-knife would have been cutting harness that day.

Ok, so far I can, Ber Rabbit spoke of my secret, the principal of leverage vs brute force. The concentrated weight imbalance in diving is different than other heavy weight management I’ve done and I’m still figuring out how to keep my back from suffering. Dry isn’t much of a problem, I move very slowly and deliberately. But wet it doesn’t take much of an angle for a tank to take me down with it so the fluidity and power of the ocean have commanded far greater respect as a diver. My greatest concern is in the initial surf zone too shallow to float and slippery as the dickens so I scuttle around often on my okole.

What physical strength (Gluteus, stomach and back muscles) does is power the skeletal leverage to compensate balance shifts. I’m no longer allowed to use my strength as I did. (I had to promise to abide severe physical restrictions to get repairs - paying the price of being ridden hard and put up wet for 30 very enjoyable years.) I plan how to not need to.

I look ahead and evaluate the options, stopping at a point of concern and backing up if necessary until I’ve worked out Plan A, Plan B and how I’m going to ditch if the feces hit’s the fan. If I’m really concerned I mentally rehearse each one before moving on. Each step, wave timing, and possible hand holds looking for all possible options to maintain 3 point contact. (2 hands, 2 feet = 4 contact points, move one point at a time keeping 3 solid – learned that rock climbing.) Because I spend so much time thinking about how I’m going to move and moving so slowly in challenging situations I think people view it as fear or hesitation when it is just very consciously. I’m always surprised when someone anxiously asks if I’m ok when things are under control. Too many high speed crashes have turned me into a snail and I’m just waiting for the wave timing or finding the spot I can feel my boot grip.
I avoid turtleing like the plague on anything solid. It’s not the ugly struggle back to upright (I felt I had to be able to in order to dive at all and worked out how at home with quite similar hilarity you entertained us with Lynn describing getting trapped in your BP/W.) but I’m afraid the crash will be deafening. Midnight Star pretty much described what works for me.
I too religiously retain my regulator no matter how silly it feels. The knowledge I can ditch and breathe prevents foolish unplanned actions I can no longer recover from by strength.

Now doubles Lynn, I just dunno. I’m considering pairing my AL50’s, maybe just get a steel 100. I felt comfortable enough to solo shore dive with a AL100 but it really pushed the limits of doctor’s orders and exiting was as close to turtle recovery as I ever want to get.

On a couple of rough surf breaking over difficult shore when deep enough to stand I couldn’t walk and close enough to walk I couldn’t stand fast or long enough to walk, I did the remove and drag behind using the water to do the lifting and either crawling or crabbing backwards. One reason I went to steel tanks, an AL 80 is just too unwieldy for my stature, the balance margin is teensy.

Like many people, my tumbles have all been on shore exits. And as Lynne described, the main culprit has always been an unstable bottom at a steep shorebreak slope that shifted underfoot and threw my balance off. Once down, in the surf with a camera and strobe setup in one hand and fins in the other, it became completely imposssible to leverage myself upright without help. If I even got partially up, the next wave would just knock me down again! I also once went down by tripping on a random rock (broke my toe, too!). Even with nothing in my hands, getting up from all fours in shifting pebbles or sucking sand where I can't get really stable is a significant challenge (and my legs are quite strong). Swimming back out and starting over is the only solution if there's nobody on shore to give me a stabilizing hand, though I have been know to crawl out on all fours onto rocks in Hawaii.

Fell doing a jetty exit on a 12- 16 inch wide seawall 3 1/2 to 4 ft in the air. Quite the graceful maneuver and only wearing a single tank but a 7ml suit and 28lbs of weight.

No way , no how and not in this lifetime was I getting up. My dive buddy said "Cheryl, just get up to your knees and I can help you" It was not happening and I had visions of him going to get the Coast Guard for help. The station was just a 1/4 mile down.

Told him to just call my husband and tell him I wasnt coming home tonite and I would think of something.

Very frustrating and yes I did get up with some help from my dive buddy. It is frustrating to accomplish something hard and then just not be able to do something you deem as simple.

Luckily my dive buddies have been great about looking back and just giving a steadying arm or tug here and there under the guise of come on pokey keep up. One even complained very loudly "I am not carrying any girls dive gear" and he then took my tank and BC and heaved it up on the bulkhead and told me to climb out and carry it myself. (He knew I could carry it but not hoist it that far over my head) Good dive buddies are the ones that have your back from the time you get there till you leave not just at depth. And sometimes they even need me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom