Help in determining proper tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rating for all of the DIN/K or K only valves used on HP tanks is at least 3442 psi and most modern Yoke regulators are rated for 3500psi (some even 4000psi with the yoke) so no need to underfill the tank.

Even with the yoke be rated to 3500 psi, the way the o-ring is stressed in the yoke setup is different than in a DIN connection. I've not heard of the yoke failing but rather the o ring blowing out.

Yes, you do have to be more careful about the o-ring condition at 34432psi. But in over 35 years of diving, I have NEVER had a yoke fitting o-ring fail on a dive. I always inspect and replace as needed as part of my pre-dive.

We use our yoke regulators on our HP130s all the time.

The 130 is a great tank. It's a little heavy, but I can manage them, and it's enough gas to do just about anything you can want to do outside of staged decompression diving. You're a big enough guy that the weight of the tank probably isn't going to bother you, so I can't see any way that 130s wouldn't be a good decision. We own two of them, but most of my friends who still dive single tanks have them, too. The only downside is that they are expensive, and that your 5'5" wife may or may not ever want to use them. (It's handy to have a stable of tanks that both of you can use, because there may be a day when she can or wants to go diving and you don't, and her tanks are in the shop getting filled.)

The one caveat is that a full 130 is pretty negative (11 pounds or so) and with wetsuit compression, you could end up having to swim up a lot of gear in the event of a BC failure. If you go with the 130, I'd probably carry a lift bag as redundant buoyancy. Chris will be able to go through all of this with you in detail and help you a bunch -- you have a good connection there.

We use our yoke regulators on our HP130s all the time.

The 130 is a great tank. It's a little heavy, but I can manage them, and it's enough gas to do just about anything you can want to do outside of staged decompression diving. You're a big enough guy that the weight of the tank probably isn't going to bother you, so I can't see any way that 130s wouldn't be a good decision. We own two of them, but most of my friends who still dive single tanks have them, too. The only downside is that they are expensive, and that your 5'5" wife may or may not ever want to use them. (It's handy to have a stable of tanks that both of you can use, because there may be a day when she can or wants to go diving and you don't, and her tanks are in the shop getting filled.)

The one caveat is that a full 130 is pretty negative (11 pounds or so) and with wetsuit compression, you could end up having to swim up a lot of gear in the event of a BC failure. If you go with the 130, I'd probably carry a lift bag as redundant buoyancy. Chris will be able to go through all of this with you in detail and help you a bunch -- you have a good connection there.

Thanks for the feedback, and never thought of the wife and she will just stay with the 80's or lower for the most part (her SAC right now, based on the last 2 dives or so is about .40-.50).

My biggest concern right now is my upcoming AOW deep dive. Not sure if an AL80 would be big enough given, my current SAC, to do a deep dive.

Again, thank you so much for all the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom