Help identifying tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have two tanks, different sizes, that I am wondering a) how to identify b) whether it is worth bringing them in for inspection and c) what they might be worth.

Markings on the larger tank, in no particular order:

DOT-3AA3000
8113U
4C781
6SS89 (the 1st S is higher than the 2nd S; sort of like a superscript followed by a subscript)

Markings on the smaller tank, in no particular order:

CTC/DOT E6498-3000
ps0946
A6^80 ( the ^ is an upward pointing arrow)
1LSS86

According to stickers on the tanks, last hydro was '99 for both tanks

Thanks for any help.

DOT-3AA3000
8113U
4C781
6SS89 (the 1st S is higher than the 2nd S; sort of like a superscript followed by a subscript)

This cylinder is an steel cylinder that has a serial number 8113U that was made in 81 and hydro'd again in 89, 94, and 99 (the last three numbers).

This is possibly a midpressure (MP3000) steel. Probably made by PST. I think they were 72s. Luxfer also made some but I think starting later.

CTC/DOT E6498-3000
ps0946
A6^80 ( the ^ is an upward pointing arrow)
1LSS86

This cylinder is an old Exempt6498 AL6351 that has a serial number ps0946 that was made in 6^80 and hydro'd again in 86, 94, and 99 (the last three numbers). This cylinders may be difficult to fill because it is made from AL 6351. See the sticky at the top of the forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...66-my-cylinder-made-bad-alloy-aka-al6351.html

Last edited:
This cylinder is an old AL6351 that has a serial number 8113U that was made in 81 and hydro'd again in 89, 94, and 99 (the last three numbers).

This cylinder is an old Exempt6498 AL6351 that has a serial number ps0946 that was made in 6^80 and hydro'd again in 86, 94, and 99 (the last three numbers).

Both cylinders may be difficult to fill because they are made from AL 6351. See the sticky at the top of the forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...66-my-cylinder-made-bad-alloy-aka-al6351.html

3AA is a steel tank
3AL is an Aluminum tank

The first tank is certainly a steel tank.

If you could get some of the dimensions (diameter and height without taking into consideration the valve), then I could tell you more.

Captain and Oxyhacker on here can probably tell you straight away what type of steel tank it is, who made it, and the bouyancy characteristics.

The first tank is certainly a steel tank.

If you could get some of the dimensions (diameter and height without taking into consideration the valve), then I could tell you more.

Captain and Oxyhacker on here can probably tell you straight away what type of steel tank it is, who made it, and the bouyancy characteristics.

Diameter is ~ 7", height to top of neck, excluding valve is ~ 25-1/4"

This is possibly a midpressure (MP3000) steel. Probably made by PST. I think they were 72s. Luxfer also made some but I think starting later.

I think perhaps it is a PST. There was another marking I could not make out, just now I took a pencil and rubbed across that area and it looks like it may in fact be a large P with a smaller ST nestled underneath.

So fair to say the smaller one is not much use, what about this steel one?

Thanks for the help folks.

I think perhaps it is a PST. There was another marking I could not make out, just now I took a pencil and rubbed across that area and it looks like it may in fact be a large P with a smaller ST nestled underneath.

So fair to say the smaller one is not much use, what about this steel one?

Thanks for the help folks.

The Pst is consistent with the PST markings. Also, the C in the initial hydro is Cochran Labs which did the hydro testing for PST in the day.

If a peek behind the boot and inside raise no big corrosion concerns it most likely is a nice addition to your gear locker.

Pete

T Luxfer also made some but I think starting later.

Geez, I am brain dead on this thread. Pay no attention me ;-). Luxfer did not make MP cylinders let alone steel. I meant Faber. Sorry for more confusion.

That said it does seem like you have figured that it was made by PST. At least I got that guess correct.

Thanks all. I guess I'll bring the steel in for inspection, and sell the aluminum for scrap.

Appreciate all the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom