Getting Ready To Sell. Help With Identifying Cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divechilly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to sell four steel tanks. Two are Pressed Steel tanks. The other two have no brand label. They do have a label that indicates they were manufactured in Canada. The size on these tanks is about 19.5" L with a 7.25" diameter. They were purchased around 2005. Here's the engraving on one:

First line: TC-SU4957-230 BAR DOT E 14157-3442 TP 5250
Second line: REE59.5 X780 3054954 08A05 M8004

All of these tanks might have 20 dives on them max. Some have not been hydro-tested since 2005. All have been stored upright, filled, in a dry basement. Any suggestions on asking price?

Thanks for your help.

-S

Attachments

• scubatanks_65.jpg
    scubatanks_65.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 111
  • scubatanks_68.jpg
    scubatanks_68.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 124
two xs scuba/worthington x7-80s and two pst e7-80s.

i paid roughly 80 each when i bought 2 e7-80s and 2 x7-80s out of hydro and vis. you might be able to get more, not sure.

$80 each sounds really low. I got $400 for a pair (in hydro) banded with a manifold (sold to a friend so a really good price), so maybe $250-300 for just the two tanks. Asking $125 each is possible, but they do need to be hydro'ed. If you did that first (it's about $30 around here to get a hydro) then you could ask $150 and negotiate a little.

Being out of hydro means that the buyer needs to take a gamble and they won't be willing to pay much for them. I just bought two tanks that were out of hyrdo and paid €75,- for them. I'm guessing that you won't get much more than about $80 for them out of hydro as runsongas suggested.

If they have current hydros then you should be able to get at least 1/2 of what a new one would cost, so you'd be able to sell them for $125 min, maybe more. If you hydro them then I'd start off asking $175 and see if they sell for that. Drop it to $150 if they don't and someone will make you an offer.

R..

So the two unmarked are xs scuba/worthington?

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll get they hydro-tested so I can ask for a higher price.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll get they hydro-tested so I can ask for a higher price.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Those are good tanks. Without hydro, it's a buyer's choice.

The markings you posted included the label "M8004". That's the manufacturer's code (unique ID) for Worthington. Do all of the tanks have that same label?

R..

Be aware that DOT Special Permit E14157 granted to Worthington Cylinders expires Dec 31, 2018, and Worthington no longer exists. There were serious concerns that the DOT wouldn't issue the last revision to the Special Permit (Jan 2015). There is already concern in the cylinder world about DOT issuing a future revision. This could affect the price you get for these from an informed buyer. Otherwise they are awesome cylinders. I have between 8-10 of these in various capacities. Hopeful they won't be worthless in a few years.

The markings you posted included the label "M8004". That's the manufacturer's code (unique ID) for Worthington. Do all of the tanks have that same label?

R..
I think two of them do. They're actually being tested so I can't look at them to confirm.

Be aware that DOT Special Permit E14157 granted to Worthington Cylinders expires Dec 31, 2018, and Worthington no longer exists. There were serious concerns that the DOT wouldn't issue the last revision to the Special Permit (Jan 2015). There is already concern in the cylinder world about DOT issuing a future revision. This could affect the price you get for these from an informed buyer. Otherwise they are awesome cylinders. I have between 8-10 of these in various capacities. Hopeful they won't be worthless in a few years.

Hmmm....thanks for the info. Let's hope they keep their value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom