Help - I switched to a MacBook Air and forgot about my dive log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Completely fed up with Windows, I finally switched to a MacBook Air. I have a to-do list of things that I need to reload, and am stumped with dive log software.

I have an Uwatec SmartCom that I love, love, love. I see that Dive Log DT can handle the infrared transfer/import, but without the SmartTRAK software **How do I adjust the settings on the computer?**

Also, $25 seems a bit steep for just tracking dives. Is there anything else Mac friendly that works with the Uwatec SmartCom? According to their websites, MacDive and Subsurface will not, and those are the only other options I found searching here and via google.

Thanks so much!

Completely fed up with Windows, I finally switched to a MacBook Air. I have a to-do list of things that I need to reload, and am stumped with dive log software.

I have an Uwatec SmartCom that I love, love, love. I see that Dive Log DT can handle the infrared transfer/import, but without the SmartTRAK software **How do I adjust the settings on the computer?**

Also, $25 seems a bit steep for just tracking dives. Is there anything else Mac friendly that works with the Uwatec SmartCom? According to their websites, MacDive and Subsurface will not, and those are the only other options I found searching here and via google.

Thanks so much!
Many Windows software runs happily on Macs, using a free tool such as Playonmac.
No need to ditch your favourite programs...

Reactions: eab
I strongly recommend Subsurface for the Mac. It's free as in speech and as in beer, and appears to support your computer. It doesn't have the prettiest interface but it's extremely functional. I strongly prefer it to whatever commercial piece of crap was recommended with my Aqualung computer.

I have been very happy with MacDive logbook software. You can go to their website and see if your computer is compatible with the program. I have had excellent experiences with the software and customer service.

You guys seem to be avoiding his major question....which is not about logging, but rather how to change the settings on his computer if he doesn't have his windows program?

You guys seem to be avoiding his major question....which is not about logging, but rather how to change the settings on his computer if he doesn't have his windows program?
I answered exactly to this: install Playonmac and run your Windows program on your Mac. It is simpler than most people think...

I answered exactly to this: install Playonmac and run your Windows program on your Mac. It is simpler than most people think...
Yes, you did. But look at almost all the other replies....

Yeah. I’d try this first. Though be prepared that sometimes it might not work. I haven’t used this one, but have used VMWare to run a Windows program. With the current Macs, if you have a Windows disc, you can also setup a Bootcamp partition. For just this use, it wouldn’t need to be very large but would run exactly as it did with Windows.

Subsurface for logging is probably the best choice as it doesn’t really discriminate against operating systems, and works with most dive computers.

None of the suggestions above are going to result in Magic'ing an IRDA port into his Mac. (IRDA is like an infrared TV remote control) The short answer is there is no way to do this. IRDA is so old and so insecure that even Windows does not really support it anymore. I suggest keeping your out Windows computer around for when you need to talk to your Uwatech.

Back
Top Bottom