Help - I switched to a MacBook Air and forgot about my dive log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reactions: eab
Good luck getting that to work on a Mac, piped through a Windows VM, and connected to crappy Uwatech software.
I do not know about the Uwatec software, but Windows software runs happily every day on my Mac thanks to Playonmac (which indeed is NOT a virtual machine, and often results to be faster than its "native" Mac version), and this IR transmitter is "seen" as a standard serial port, requires no drivers, so again I do not see why it should not work...
Only problem I can see is if you use Catalina, this locked down most of the software and hardware I use, so I had to quickly reverse back to Yosemite...

I don't know if you are trying with OS Catalina, but this thread has instal advice

DM5 cannot run on MacOS

Thanks so much. From a quick review, it appears that the solution document is the one I was using yesterday to guide me through the install. However, I'll take a closer look at all the comments. Maybe there's a hidden gem. Appreciate it!!

Your
... about 20 years ago ....
comment made me spontaneously sprout gray hair! I assure you that the computer is not that old, however, I have been diving that long. hahaha

However, if the problem is the IR transmitter, with a few bucks you can connect an IRda transmitter to your Mac. See here:
Irdroid USB IR Transceiver compatible with Mac OS X | Irdroid™ – Infrared modules for Android, Linux , Mac OS X and MS Windows

Thanks Angelo. Right now the problem isn't the transmitter. It's getting the DM5 application to ask me to grant it permission to access the Mac directories. Maybe that will be an eventual problem, but right now it's steps behind where I'm at right now.

...Only problem I can see is if you use Catalina, this locked down most of the software and hardware I use, so I had to quickly reverse back to Yosemite...

Yes, Catalina. Oddly, it all worked just fine when I installed subsurface, so maybe one clobbered the other or I attempted too much "bad" behavior in one sitting. :)

Yes, Catalina. Oddly, it all worked just fine when I installed subsurface, so maybe one clobbered the other or I attempted too much "bad" behavior in one sitting. :)
I believe Angelo was referring to PlayOnMac, not Subsurface. It appears that PlayOnMac is 32 bit (at least for now), so you wouldn’t be able to use on Catalina to run Windows software. Subsurface is 64 bit, and There is a Mac version, so will run just fine on Catalina.

I believe Angelo was referring to PlayOnMac, not Subsurface. It appears that PlayOnMac is 32 bit (at least for now), so you wouldn’t be able to use on Catalina to run Windows software. Subsurface is 64 bit, and There is a Mac version, so will run just fine on Catalina.
True.
But, unfortunately, I had problems also with many other software I use for work, so I had to switch back to Mojave.
In practice Catalina requires that the software is recompiled with all the required "safety" features which are now mandatory.
And many "legacy" hardware, such as a number of excellent audio interfaces which are still using Firewire, are simply not supported anymore.
It seems that Apple, year after year, is going against the loyal user base of professionals of audio and video, and is targeting people mostly interested to the world of "apps" available for the iPhone.
To the point that at work we are not buying Macs anymore, since when they dropped the availability of useful ports such as HDMI, USB-A and Displayport, and unified to USB-C, which requires a number of adaptors.
And the next gen appears to be based on Arm processors, so running Windows programs natively will be impossible, making the machine unusable in our field of work, where many software are Windows-only, albeit working happily, till now, either using Playonmac or Bootcamp...
While in the past I suggested to many Windows users to switch to Mac OS, after the release of Catalina, and considering that a new machine cannot be downgraded to Mojave, I am not suggesting anymore to Windows users to do the jump.
This being the situation, I had never suggested to the OP to upgrade form a Windows PC to a Macbook Air (a machine which was not to be bought even with previous versions of Mac OS, in my view).
And if Apple does not fix Catalina soon, making it usable for us audio professionals, I suppose I will start predicating Apple users to switch back to Windows.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I made a note to look at PlayOnMac tomorrow, but looks like I don't have to now. ;-)

I suspect the next time my SmartCom needs to be serviced it won't be. Seems like it's time to move on...

... It seems that Apple, year after year, is going against the loyal user base of professionals of audio and video, and is targeting people mostly interested to the world of "apps" available for the iPhone...

As an iPhone user, I feel this has been true for the phones for quite some time now, but this is my first Mac and truthfully, I was running away from the nightmare of Windows 10 and that lack of control over that os! Maybe we both need to look into Linux. haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom