• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Help - I switched to a MacBook Air and forgot about my dive log software

Discussion in 'Dive Software' started by eab, Jul 3, 2020.

1. eab

eab Divemaster

Completely fed up with Windows, I finally switched to a MacBook Air. I have a to-do list of things that I need to reload, and am stumped with dive log software.

I have an Uwatec SmartCom that I love, love, love. I see that Dive Log DT can handle the infrared transfer/import, but without the SmartTRAK software **How do I adjust the settings on the computer?**

Also, $25 seems a bit steep for just tracking dives. Is there anything else Mac friendly that works with the Uwatec SmartCom? According to their websites, MacDive and Subsurface will not, and those are the only other options I found searching here and via google.

Thanks so much!

2. Angelo Farina

Angelo Farina Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Many Windows software runs happily on Macs, using a free tool such as Playonmac.
    No need to ditch your favourite programs...

eab likes this.
  3. wnissen

wnissen ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I strongly recommend Subsurface for the Mac. It's free as in speech and as in beer, and appears to support your computer. It doesn't have the prettiest interface but it's extremely functional. I strongly prefer it to whatever commercial piece of crap was recommended with my Aqualung computer.

BenjaminF and eab like this.
  4. drakcheslav

drakcheslav Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    +1 for Subsurface. It works great, and is more feature rich than a lot of other softwares.

Also, it syncs to the cloud and you can have your dives on your mobile.

Tournesol2000, BenjaminF and eab like this.
  5. Altamira

Altamira ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have been very happy with MacDive logbook software. You can go to their website and see if your computer is compatible with the program. I have had excellent experiences with the software and customer service.

Hoyden, tep and eab like this.
  6. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You guys seem to be avoiding his major question....which is not about logging, but rather how to change the settings on his computer if he doesn't have his windows program?

eab likes this.
  7. Angelo Farina

Angelo Farina Marine Scientist

I answered exactly to this: install Playonmac and run your Windows program on your Mac. It is simpler than most people think...

eab likes this.
  8. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Yes, you did. But look at almost all the other replies....

eab likes this.
  9. Belzelbub

Belzelbub Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yeah. I’d try this first. Though be prepared that sometimes it might not work. I haven’t used this one, but have used VMWare to run a Windows program. With the current Macs, if you have a Windows disc, you can also setup a Bootcamp partition. For just this use, it wouldn’t need to be very large but would run exactly as it did with Windows.

Subsurface for logging is probably the best choice as it doesn’t really discriminate against operating systems, and works with most dive computers.

eab likes this.
  10. davehicks

davehicks ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

None of the suggestions above are going to result in Magic'ing an IRDA port into his Mac. (IRDA is like an infrared TV remote control) The short answer is there is no way to do this. IRDA is so old and so insecure that even Windows does not really support it anymore. I suggest keeping your out Windows computer around for when you need to talk to your Uwatech.

seaseadee and eab like this.