Help! How to remove air spool from SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Follow-up...

I finally managed to remove the spool from the gauge, and, as i suspected, the gauge-facing o-ring was split in two. Furthermore, once the spool was removed the majority of the condensation in the gauge evaporated in short order.

I am going to let the gauge dry out thoroughly, replace the spool and - lubed - o-rings, and see if it remains water tight. I was thinking of placing the SPG in a closed jar half filled with rice to hasten drying. Thoughts?

How did you get the spool out?

Removal is usually a pair of pliers and yank, sometimes with a small angle oscillating turning.

The best way I know of to dry a gauge is to place it in the mid-day sun for a few hours. Of course I'm in south MS where that is enough to get the inside of the gauge to over 130°F right quick. Farther north it will take longer. Dry rice or wheat will pull moisture, bit it may be difficult to get it out of the gauge port. Time in Air conditioning or other low humidity is usually a good thing, and don't rush it.

BTW You'll need to clean the inside of the stem where the o-ring sets really well before installing the new spool. A .177 or .22 cal nylon bore brush will usually handle that job well.

I am going to let the gauge dry out thoroughly, replace the spool and - lubed - o-rings, and see if it remains water tight. I was thinking of placing the SPG in a closed jar half filled with rice to hasten drying. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that if the inside of the gauge is wet, unless it was a personal solid-gold autographed gift from Jacques Cousteau, given to you as a wedding present, I'd throw it out and get a new one. :D

If it was a wedding present, I'd put it in glass case to impress your friends and still get a new one.

Terry

I have had some old crusty spools that would not come out after a soak in an ultrasonic cleaner.
I have even has a spool break in two. I have heard of a shop that removed the gauge and blew out the spool by turning on the air while it was on the tank. They told me it worked okay but it sounds like they might shoot their eye out. Or get thrashed by a HP hose. I try to salvage some older brass gauges to use in vintage diving rigs but some are too far gone to save.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm looking for advice other than 'get a new one' given that my Halcyon SPG is 2 months old.
While completing my DiveMaster course I was unfortunately not always the person rinsing my equipment. Which would have been fine had our staff always ensured the dust cap was on.
I have a small amount of moisture in the SPG. It is only noticeable when it is particular warm outside. As I have been diving in salt water I do not want internal corrosion and failure during a dive.

Is it possible to rinse with fresh water and thoroughly dry the SPG to prolong its life?
If so, any tips?
A mob of people shouting 'safety first, replace the gauge'! is of no use to me.

Thanks,
Nic

If you can see droplets inside the SPG the housing is leaking. As already mentioned in this thread, there is absolutely no way moisture can come from the hose and end up inside the glass unless the Bourdon tube is broken, which would leave you with a non-functional SPG.

This is a common problem with all Termo SPG's. I've had two of them, one started leaking on the first dive, the second after 12 dives. The most common failure point is reportedly the overpressure valve (rubber button on the rear) which is there to make sure the SPG doesn't explode if the Bourdon tube should actually start leaking and fill the housing with gas from the HP port. Mine seems fine, though, but the SPG is leaking anyway.

I'd just leave it. Unless you've got enough salt inside the SPG to block the needle from moving it will work fine. Besides, the replacement will be just as crappy. Which reminds me... The only Halcyon-branded equipment I've ever purchased broke on the first dive. That's hardly doing things right... Frankly, these SPG's are pieces of junk no matter which logo they have. Stay away.

I thought Termo made pretty much all SPGs at one point, is that still the case?
I assumed the moisture was from lazy equipment rinsing, maybe it isn't.

Regardless, can I get the moisture out of there when we have another sunny day, or is it stuck there? Is it possible to flood the gauge with fresh water first to remove the salt or will that permanently flood and destroy my gauge?

Nic

Back
Top Bottom