Help! How to remove air spool from SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ringmod65

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently, my SPG has retained more and more moisture and is becoming difficult to read (the gauge otherwise still operates properly).

The o-ring on the HP hose-facing part of the air spool is in good shape. In order to further troubleshoot the problem, I need to remove the air spool from the SPG to see if the o-ring on the gauge-facing end of the spool needs to be replaced.

I cannot - for the life of me - figure out how to remove the spool from the SPG. I've tried unscrewing it, but I don't think the spool is threaded. I've also tried to pull and/or pry it loose, but have stopped short of forcing anything.

At this point, I have ordered a replacement spool and o-rings. None of which will do me any good until I figure out how to remove the current air spool.

Can anybody help?

The spool is not threaded, both ends look the same - male tip with o-ring seal.

Pull it out, it's probably gunked up.

Even though the o-ring is in good shape, you should still replace it. Don't forget to lube it too, those things dry out quickly and crack causing small leaks.

Your comment about moisture in the SPG is concerning. How are you taking care of your regs, and what's your rinsing procedure? Thinking that you're flooding your first stage, thus leading to moisture in the SPG.

Thanks, Don.

Regs are soaked (after first stage dust cover is in place) after every (fresh water only) dive. Second stages breathe dry.

The moisture problem only began after I had the HP hose-facing o-ring split on me, which I replaced but didn't lube. When I removed the SPG I found that the connection was only hand tight. I'm pretty sure that the moisture resulted from the loose connection and a bad o-ring. In other words, I half-assed the repair.

I planned on removing the air spool, allowing the SPG to dry, and then replacing both - lubed - o-rings.

Or just buying a new gauge.

If you are seeing moisture in the face of the SPG, it is not coming in through the hose. Visible moisture is a failure of a seal in the case of the SPG.

I had a gauge with a similar problem. One day the needle wasn't moving, I whacked it against my palm and the needle fell off.

awap,is right on this,Moisture through the hose would mean a busted Bourdontube.
And that would mean the SPG would not work at all.
Most likely the overpressure plug on the rear.IMO
But when wet,the brasstube will corrode very rapitly when used in saltwater.
Better just replace it.

Thanks, Don.

Regs are soaked (after first stage dust cover is in place) after every (fresh water only) dive. Second stages breathe dry.

As others have pointed out, water through the hose is probably not your problem, but do note they are called "dust" caps and not "water" caps for a reason.

:eyebrow:

As others have pointed out, water through the hose is probably not your problem, but do note they are called "dust" caps and not "water" caps for a reason.

Finaly,

Someone who get's the point.:D

Dustcaps,not watercaps.
This means dunk or rince but don't leave it,for prolonged time in a tank.:no:

Finaly,

Someone who get's the point.:D

Dustcaps,not watercaps.
This means dunk or rince but don't leave it,for prolonged time in a tank.:no:

No problem with a long soak, provided your rinse tub will hold a tank.
Install reg on tank
turn on air
dump entire mess into horse trough of clean water
remove, disassemble and dry it the morning.

FT

... but do note they are called "dust" caps and not "water" caps for a reason.

Scubapro calls them "Inlet Protectors" and they work just fine for preventing water from entering the 1st stage while soaking for 8 hours and more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom