Help explain to my dad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago in Tulum I wasn't feeling well and threw up through a rental reg. I thumbed the dive, and while sitting on the shore, thought about how many times someone else did the same thing. ALWAYS travel with all my own stuff since.

Pour a dilute bleach solution into it or Listerine. Put it in a plastic travel squirt bottle.

So, your dad is afraid of germs for himself but not for you?

Your not going to get AIDS from a regulator. I would, however, at least keep a thought on hepatitus. The likelyhood is quite low, have to have a doctor step in here for a better thought but--but---squirt the dilute Chlorox into the second stage and swish it around--goot to go.

N

Oh, one other thing, please do not squirt bleach into the ocean, it is a killer. I am talking about a swimming pool here.

N

Solution: buy your own gear :D

That way you will dive more too and everyone wins!

You'll both be fine. Just don't french kiss your rescuer, or do s drills with a guy with a big scab on his lip.

he is leary b/c he doesnt want to use the same regulator someone else already used for another class. How does this work? He thinks that he will be breathing through something someone else has breathed through and thats just something my dad would never do. :D

Off the top of my head I would guess that he has had sex, eaten at a buffet or otherwise had way more personal and disgusting interactions with at least one stranger during his life. Personally after sluicing my second stage in diesel fuel inside a containment boom and the water around the Provincetown, Ma commercial pier I believe I am mostly immune to most stuff found in the water. I am not, however, immune to the East River and NY harbor, those will mess you up.
Regards, Brad

PS YMMV. I am a parent so I have been trained by things like toddlers feeding me pre chewed food. :)

Back
Top Bottom