Help! Don't Know Who To Get Permissions From To Use Footage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I'm a university student and for one of my modules I am creating a 5 minute short film on scuba diving. I'm planning on filming it on two dive sites in the next few weeks but for my paperwork I need to get permission to use the footage I film underwater. Does anyone know who I contact? I've been told it is the harbour master but they are for the dockyard? I will be diving on two sites around Plymouth.
Any help will be appreciated :)
Hannah

I think you are talking about model releases for the people you video tape. You might ask for permission from the boat captain if you are diving from a charter. Other than that I can't imagine needing have permission to film underwater, unless the Brits have weird laws or it is a restricted dive sight lik a war grave.

Yep. in the US you don't need that if you are in the public filming. underwater is as public as it gets.

Some of the rules about that stuff are country-specific, but I have a hard time believing that you need permission to publish footage from a public place. The devil is in the details, though.

• Are you behind the camera? If so, you own the copyright to the footage and are free to publish unless there are other issues.
  • Are the persons depicted identifiable? If so, you may need their permission to publish. Rules about this vary by country. In my country, if they are a part of a larger group in a public place, you don't need permission.
  • Are the persons depicted the main subject? If so, you may very well need their permission to publish. Rules about this vary by country. In my country, you need their permission.
  • Are you shooting in a public place (e.g. underwater)? If so, you should be free to publish.
  • Are you shooting on private property (e.g. aboard a boat)? If so, you might need the owner's permission to film and to publish.

Check the UK's regulations, those are the ones that apply to you.

I imagine that model permission is important if your professor wants to use the video for a competition or festival. Those may well have tighter rules than would be true for a personal production destined for youtube. Festivals and contests can set rules to what ever they want it to be, either as protection from lawsuits or copyright disputes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom