Help: Camera flooded, memory card got wet, is photo recovery hopeless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cxg31s

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't figure out if this is the right forum for this question, so if not, please feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.

Short story: My housing flooded on my last trip 2 months ago, camera got partially wet including the memory card--it wasn't soaked but some water did get in the card compartment. I pulled the memory card, shook out the water and dried it with a hair dryer on low heat. I was able to see the pictures in my husband's camera, but it "glitched" when we tried to download them to the computer then it said "This card cannot be used". I have since been able to see the photos again in my husband's camera but it kept doing the same thing when I tried to download. I just bought a replacement camera, put in the memory card and again got "This card cannot be used".

So I guess what I need to know is can my pictures be saved or it is hopeless? Would it be worth trying to find a recovery service or can they even salvage a card that has gotten wet?

Thanks so much for any advice, tips, etc!

I had something similar happen to a card once. My first suggestion is to try cleaning the contacts (little copper looking strips) on the SD card. Try a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol or a pencil eraser to make sure the contacts are clean and there is no film of salt or anything left on it.

My next suggestion is that if your husbands camera is reading it, can you attach that to your computer via USB cable and download the pics straight to your computer that way?

BTW. Even if you do manage to get it working in your computer with the above tips, I'd consider the card unreliable and not attempt to continue using it.

Good luck with it!

you may be able to do a disk repair on the card. If this is a windows XP computer. If not you might try doing a help search to see if your OS has this ability.

I don't want to say it will work, but it might.

Good Luck

Uabrand.gif

[h=1]Detecting and repairing disk errors[/h] You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors and bad sectors on your hard disk.

1. Open My Computer, and then select the local disk you want to check.
  2. On the File menu, click Properties.
  3. On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
  4. Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.
note.gif
Notes

• To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
  • All files must be closed for this process to run. If the volume is currently in use, a message box will appear prompting you to indicate whether or not you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time you restart your system. Then, the next time you restart your system, disk checking will run. Your volume will not be available to perform other tasks while this process is running.
  • If your volume is formatted as NTFS, Windows automatically logs all file transactions, replaces bad clusters, and stores copies of key information for all files on the NTFS volume.
  • For more information, click Related Topics.