Help! Broken Wetsuit Zipper (O'Neill 7MM J-TYPE)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3rmzh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well the title says it all,

I was suiting up for a dive on Sunday when the zipper on my wetsuit broke, the zipper is separated and it is missing a tooth.

I was hoping to get another year out of the suit while I am saving up for my drysuit.

Is this something you can get repaired? I could find a lot about DRYsuit zipper repair but not much about wetsuit (probably not a good sign) other then one post from '05

So can I get it repaired? If so where? Ballpark figure?

Thanks so much in advance, you guys are great!

The cost for zipper repairs on a wet suit might be too much for the suits worth.However,getting an estimate couldnt hurt.A friend of mine does canvas boat tops and can sew a zipper on anything.Things are slow right now in that field with the economy.I would look up a shop in your area and talk to them about it.

A wet suit could be repaired locally with a repalcement zipper.

Superior Diving Repair also does a great job if you want to send it off.

Superior Diving Repair, Inc.

There's a way to repair normal zippers (non-diving) which involves undoing the stitches at the bottom of the zipper and prying it out so that you can pull the zipper tab all the way off (usually it has come off from one side, but is still hanging onto the other). Then you align the zipper again and pull the zipper tab back on from the bottom, now sew/aquaseal the bottom back. If the missing tooth is close to the bottom, just sow (and glue with aquaseal) it together over there (with zipper closed), and you'll just end up with a slightly shorter zipper. If it's missing far up, then you might have a costlier problem.

In your case, you'd have to obtain a new zipper pull tab, or take one off from an old wetsuit if you have one with similar zippers (most are the same). I'm not sure how easy it would be to undo the bottom attachment on the zipper of a wetsuit - I've only done it on a regular backpack, but it could be a cheap 1-night DIY project, or it could not. Anyway, hope you can find someone who has done this type of work for a more informed answer.

If you decide send it in, PM or email LiquidFit on this board. They are CA based wetsuit shop that does a lot of custom wetsuit work. They installed custom relief zippers (flies) on my wetsuits for $28 a piece + shipping (maybe more now), so I'm sure they could do the type of repair you are wanting.

I have fixed zippers before.....not on a wetsuit though. Unfortunately you broke a tooth which means you will not be able to just replace the slider....you need a whole new zipper. There are a lot of people who can do this for you. I have had my suits made and repaired by Wetwear. You can go to a canvas place, but personally I would rather send it to some one who knows about wetsuits.

Good Luck!

I've used my local shoe repair shop for zipper repairs.

i know this is an old post but j3rmzh i was wondering how you liked this wetsuit. I am in your area and looking at buying a wetsuit. ive heard good things about this suit but they have all been from a LDS. mind sharing your thoughts?

I love it! Used it for 2 years now and it goes great, I dive year round (nothing crazy, just AL80's) usually 35-60 minutes of bottom time between 35 - 100 FSW and its worked great for me.

I'm planning on upgrading to a drysuit someday but for the time being it works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom