Help, been given a few FREE regs/long term loaners. Which to use!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks very much for the responses guys. It's a shame that the best one for the job is the one that isn't mine, I'll throw the Oceanic's on ebay for a start (or do people advertise on here?)

I spoke to my local dive center and they recommend rather than spend money on servicing the Apeks, I should sell the Cressi and Scubapro stuff and use the money to buy a Poseidon First stage and octopus to go with the Poseidon Second stage I already have, that way it would be my own reg kit. What do you guys think? Make up a poseidon kit by selling my other bits, or service the Apeks TX40's (that aren't mine but long term loan).

I'd still go for the Apeks.
Sell the other stuff and get a new Apeks rather than the Poseidon.

Really? Apeks over Poseidon? Suppose I could just get the Apeks serviced now and try them out over winter. I can't see my mate wanting them back for at least a year.

oh and I found out the Poseidon is a Poseidon Cyklon 5000 model (the plastic one not the metal variant).

I'd still go for the Apeks.
Sell the other stuff and get a new Apeks rather than the Poseidon.

Agree with Fishpie,
But before you buy yourself, why not service your borrowed reg? If you'll have it for a year, you'll likely fall in love with it. In the mean time, maybe you will have the opportunity to try out a couple other types to see what you feel most comfortable with. For certain though, you will find the Apeks to be an excellent performer.

What I am seeing here is a LOT of brand loyalty. Without looking at these regs, it's impossible to give you a qualified opinion as to which one is best to service. There might be verdigris where there should never be in anyone of the regs that would make me hesitant to service it. Look closely at your regs and even into the sintered filters to see if there is evidence of flooding or neglect. If you aren't really sure what to look for, and your loaner won't mind you selling their regs, then get rid of all of them and start afresh.

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear, I def won't sell my mates Apeks, its just a long term loan, and he said I can either service them and use them or give them back to him where they will sit in a drawer for the next however long.

It does seem indeed that some people are loyal to brands which I suppose I can't blame. I just want to make the right choice, I've heard plenty of good things about Apeks especially for these Uk waters. And Poseidon are obviously very reputable too with their high fan base with Tech divers. However I think the best all round solution for me is to spend £50 now to get the Apeks serviced and working. That way its minimal investment to spend the next year or so seeing what I like (as diverdorr said). Then if I like them I can get my own and let the missus who is just about to do open water use the loaner ones. I do however think there is little point in holding onto the Scubapro and the Cressi Regs.

What I am seeing here is a LOT of brand loyalty. Without looking at these regs, it's impossible to give you a qualified opinion as to which one is best to service. There might be verdigris where there should never be in anyone of the regs that would make me hesitant to service it. Look closely at your regs and even into the sintered filters to see if there is evidence of flooding or neglect. If you aren't really sure what to look for, and your loaner won't mind you selling their regs, then get rid of all of them and start afresh.

Can't say that I'm exactly loyal.......the OP is a Brit, living and diving in the UK, it just makes sense that he should dive with Apeks as cost of maintenance, ease of service and support will most likely be the best of the bunch.

Absolutely, I think it seems like the best option overall, its just unfortunate that the best solution for me is the regs that aren't actually mine. It'd be great if I could look into crystal ball and see that he might not need these regs for the next 5 years who knows!
Plus it helps (I think) that the dive place I could to regularly are quite pro Apeks and do pretty good/cheap servicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom