Help! Bauer Poseidon p320 block?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattK911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a Bauer Poseidon p320 and am trying to give it an overhaul. Having trouble finding parts which I know is very common for these compressors. From the manuals I have it appears the block is a Bauer of some sort but I cannot find which one. I’m trying to find the model of Bauer compressor block so I can source parts but am running into a serious lack of information. Anyone happen to know anything about these?

Post pictures.... of the stages, filtration system. Bauer plate present with serial number?

Post pictures.... of the stages, filtration system. Bauer plate present with serial number?

I cannot find a serial number plate anywhere.

BB1DAE9B-CB1A-448C-BC25-252A6660DA16.jpeg 0DA14EB1-5249-4CBA-8D54-42A5CC1DFA61.jpeg 4F1DDDB4-EBD6-4B34-97C6-40C4B7A6846B.jpeg 531AEB1D-2B83-414A-BA90-544D0EE427BE.jpeg F7FC3E15-5045-4571-84BA-DC1D7F7B3ECD.jpeg

From the photos
Its not a bauer i know
For me its a poseidon 4 stage block
I will try to find some old poseidon parts list to make sure.

I see only 3. HP stage looks like a Bauer part, 1st stage does not.

The first and second stage are on top of one another. The Poseidon block is very similar to the Bauer IK 12.14 with a few plumbing changes like oil filler position being very obvious and pipe coming out of 4th stage barrel and redirection of crank case breather tube.

The first / second, 3rd and 4th stage heads look the same as on the IK12.14 Bauer.

I have had a look and do not have parts list for this block.
I still think it a old poseidon 4 stage block from the about 1980
Back in the day poseidon had a factory in Waidhausenstrasse Vienna Austria.
They used a lot of K range bauer parts on and in there blocks.
But the blocks are not the same as bauer.
May be worth a try to contact poseidon in sweden.
ask for jorgen nilsson he may be best to try to track down you unit.

Do you know if the unit works or not ?

I have had a look and do not have parts list for this block.
I still think it a old poseidon 4 stage block from the about 1980
Back in the day poseidon had a factory in Waidhausenstrasse Vienna Austria.
They used a lot of K range bauer parts on and in there blocks.
But the blocks are not the same as bauer.
May be worth a try to contact poseidon in sweden.
ask for jorgen nilsson he may be best to try to track down you unit.

Do you know if the unit works or not ?

The compressor belonged to a friend of my shop owners. It was given to us as his new house had no room to put it. The previous owner had it from new, but had a bad habit of not servicing anything. We have assumed it has been extremely minimally if ever serviced. It has a little over 1400 hours on it in 24 years so about 60 hours a year. (He used to own a shop)

The Good-
-I hooked it up and it seems to run well. It had minimal leaks. All the stage/oil pressures are within spec. The unit builds pressure to 5000 before it shuts down as it should. After I cleaned it up and changed all the filters (intake, oil, stacks) and oil, I filled a couple junk cylinders and it didn’t seem to have any overheating issues when running for an hour.

-While filling a (non breathing air) 190cuft 4500psi tank I ran a timer and “lapped”it every 100 psi and the times were slightly decreasing? I’m not sure if this is due to heating of the tank. I calculated almost 11CFM. This unit was rated at 12CFM. So for real world I assume it’s ok. An air quality test has been sent out.

-Luckily It came with operation manual and parts list/schematics, but I can’t find any valves using the parts numbers in the parts list.

The Bad
-I found a couple leaks in the compression fittings on the intercoolers but was able to snug them to stop the leaks.

-It was filthy upon arrival and all the intercoolers were covered in junk. I blew the whole thing down with compressed air and cleaned the exterior with a bit of water/dawn/simple green.

-The ACD is missing don’t know what happened there. It has manual drains

-The intake filter was trashed, hoping it’s not a sign of things to come.

-I think the Back Pressure maintaining valve on the filter stack is leaking, but I’m not quite sure how to narrow that down. The PMV leads into a manifold. The manifold has a fill whip and a drain valve. When I drain that manifold (open the drain for 2-3min) and I close the drain valve, the manifold will pressurize again. I’m pretty sure that means the PMV needs service

I was trained in servicing marine air compressors (water cooled big boys) and I feel pretty comfortable with the overhaul process, just having a difficult time finding parts.

Where are most people sourcing parts? Does anyone know if Poseidon used their own part numbers on Bauer parts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom