Help a newbie: BCD + Reg for warm/cold waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can recomend the Atomic but I question the need to have the sealed version for your diving. Your stated dive temps will not freeze it up, and while the cristolube can reused it is messy.
Take the money you saved and put it towards the Zeagle Stiletto, which I believe is the most durable, best fitting and best diving product you can buy.
If your budget dictates the need buy a less expensive reg, such as a Sherwood Magnum or Zeagle Envoy, to free up the funds for the Stiletto.
You will notice a bigger value in the difference in the BC's than you will in the regulators, IMHO.

Interesting Capt! I might try to stick to the Apeks Elan recommended, I liked what I read.

As for the BC I was looking into the Zeagle Tech Express or the Wicked Lite. What would be the most evident benefit of the Stiletto vs those 2 ? Is the Stiletto LTD the same as the Stiletto ? Gets a bit confusing and prices are all over the place.

Well I've just ordered the XTX100 for both my wife and I! Excited like a kid on Christmas eve hehe. To think that I will most likely not get to use them for at least a few months is painful !

I was looking for an inexpensive octopus that would not cause me issues (free flow or other). The Mares MV has great reviews on LP and is dirt cheap (65$). Any thoughts ? I'll also pick up gauges and was wondering if I'd be better off with a single pressure gauge or a dual one with depth considering that we will be buying a computer before we dive again? On one end the pressure only gauge are cheaper at less than 100$ but the dual ones do offer redundancy over a potential computer failure for roughly a 100$ more. Any recommendations regarding these ?

Last component to figure out will be the BC and that one remains one heck of a mystery piece! I would like to keep it under 450$ if possible, decently compact for travel and functional under colder water conditions... The Zeagle Wicked Lite seemed like a good compromise and the Stiletto was very appealing at its sale price but is now back up to quite a bit more $...

One of the big advantages of a backplate system is that it has no intrinsic buoyancy -- therefore, you do not have to carry weight to sink unnecessary padding. In the tropics, this really doesn't matter very much, but if you are going to dive (and if your wife is going to dive, more importantly) in water in the 50's or 40's, every pound begins to loom large in the figuring.

In addition, getting a good fit for a very large person, or a very small one, can be quite difficult with standard BCs. The single biggest thing a continuous harness has going for it is infinite adjustability.

I know you are not familiar with this gear, and nobody around you seems to be, either, but you have a huge resource pool here on the use of backplates. And if you will let us know where in Canada you are, at least roughly, I may be able to give you some specific names of folks who can show you the gear and let you try it on before you make a decision.

I was looking for an inexpensive octopus that would not cause me issues (free flow or other). The Mares MV has great reviews on LP and is dirt cheap (65$). Any thoughts ? I'll also pick up gauges and was wondering if I'd be better off with a single pressure gauge or a dual one with depth considering that we will be buying a computer before we dive again? On one end the pressure only gauge are cheaper at less than 100$ but the dual ones do offer redundancy over a potential computer failure for roughly a 100$ more. Any recommendations regarding these ?

Personally I would look for an Apeks octopus for your Apeks regulator set. Otherwise you better make sure that your dive shop can always service both Apeks and Mares. XTX40 might cost you some dollars more but probably you will use those regulators for quite some time. In two years or so you won't remember the dollars you could save buying your octo.:) I would go with a simple brass and glass SPG. If you really want redundancy in a case of computer failure, you will be better off with a backup computer than with a depth gauge. These are just my thoughts - take them for what they are worth.

@TSandM

Interestingly enough, it turns out that one of my wife's colleague is not only a dive instructor but also a seasoned Tech/Commercial Diver with over 30 years of experience! We just found out about a week ago. I had a good chat with him, super nice guy, vouched in favor of Apeks at a 100%. Being a tech diver who dives mostly if not strictly in our colder waters he obviously favored gearing up for these conditions.

Mentioned to invest in a good quality 7mm suit, not settle for a cheap one. On the BC "debate" he had little to say besides comfort was #1 priority. So a proper fit yes but also to think forward and look at higher lift capacities since I will be diving in colder, fresh waters. As to the BP/W vs Vest, to him it didn't matter much, both were good options if they fitted well and would perform in more extreme environments warm waters.

In other words, the complexity of properly setting up a BP/W is not much of a concern at this point as we definitely have a resource Cost is now the primary limitation and fit/comfort if that is an issue at all. I know diving is a very expensive passion but unfortunately I can't afford not to consider a sensible budget for it at this point in time. As I mentioned, 450$ all in for a BC would really be pushing my limit and I doubt there are any true BP/W setups that would fit in that budget. The Zeagle Tech has a puny lift of 24lbs, the Wicked lite a bit better at 32 but not spectacular. Stiletto was similar at 35... I had originally considered the Sherwood Avid CQR2 but I must say I like the idea of a more minimalistic approach both from a travel and overall perspective. LP currently has the Aeris 5 Oceans on sale for 200$ which looks decent too...

@Johanan

I get what you are saying and if I didn't have to factor in the price of a computer, accessories, thick wetsuit, diving itself, it wouldn't be all that bad but you know, if I can afford to cut somewhere it seemed more reasonable there. I'm pretty sure Mares can be serviced locally too and it does cost less than 1/3 of the cost of the XTX40, quite a difference for something you'd rather not use ever.

As for the gauge, totally agreed. I am looking at an OMS Brass PSI Pressure gauge right now for roughly 100$. The pic doesn't show a plastic/rubber sheeting for it though, is that absolutely necessary ? Otherwise it seemed like a quality gauge that was easy to read. I have those rainbow colored ones with half the digits missing or weird markings.

While we're on it. Sunto Zoop vs Vyper, what is the real practical advantage from one to the other ? Any other similar computers I should consider above these ?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input !

I agree completely with your instructor friend - get the BC that fits best and don't look back. I'm still diving my ~1995 US Divers Alcyone and happy with it. Every once in a while I've tossed around the idea of updating it, but then when I see the price tags on newer BC's I get over it.

Regarding the wetsuit, I only wonder if you'll be switching to a drysuit before getting any real mileage out of the wetsuit. I suppose you could take a drysuit class and use it as a learning experience in addition to trying out the suit under supervision before buying either. I'm just throwing it out as something to consider. Either way, proper fit is key. I'd rather dive a properly fitting cheapo wetsuit then a poorly fitting top of the line one of the same thickness.

As for the computer, you mentioned wanting to connect it to a PC, so don't forget to add in the cost (usually $100) of the USB cable.
I recently picked up a SubGear XP10 for $160. It does nitrox and everything and better yet, no cable needed to download to PC! Just a USB IR dongle that you can get for $15 on Amazon.

Hi astral!

I am happy to weigh on this as I am in a very similar situation to you. New diver, Colorado (so some cold local, but will travel, put ~20 dives in on Bonaire right after cert).

Sounds like you made a great decision on the reg. I like the suggestions you are getting about gauges and octo. For the computer, I would go Zoop or something simple for now and then if you decide later to get a bigger better computer at a future date then the Zoop can become your backup later. That will also cut the start up costs a bit.

Have you gotten beat over the head enough on BPW? Well, here's more - for the BC, I have a new DSS setup, love it, super easy to put together and Tobin is awesome about squaring you away. My husband will be buying one as soon as he saves up the rest of his pennies. I would absolutely tell you to bite the bullet and get the DSS - when are you diving next? ie, can you wait a bit and save up for it? If you are thinking about spending $400 on the Wicked Lite or $500+ Ranger, just get the DSS, the single tank package is right at the high end of your price point. I have an SS plate that I will use for warm water and it packs up SO nicely.

That being said, if you guys are wanting an economical option, the Zeagle Express Tech has many great reviews pretty much everywhere and gives you a lot of bang for your buck and you can order it with a 30lb or 35 lb wing for the same price as the 24lb wing thus solving your lift dilemma. My only hesitation on this is that you sound pretty tall and having a longer back plate might be really really nice for you. Also, you will probably want to add or upgrade the hardware a bit from plastic. So really just get the DSS!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: No, I don't work for Tobin.

But seriously I think you will be happy with either of these. The online tutorials for both are fantastic and both companies have great support!

@TSandM

In other words, the complexity of properly setting up a BP/W is not much of a concern at this point as we definitely have a resource Cost is now the primary limitation and fit/comfort if that is an issue at all. I know diving is a very expensive passion but unfortunately I can't afford not to consider a sensible budget for it at this point in time. As I mentioned, 450$ all in for a BC would really be pushing my limit and I doubt there are any true BP/W setups that would fit in that budget. The Zeagle Tech has a puny lift of 24lbs, the Wicked lite a bit better at 32 but not spectacular. Stiletto was similar at 35... I had originally considered the Sherwood Avid CQR2 but I must say I like the idea of a more minimalistic approach both from a travel and overall perspective. LP currently has the Aeris 5 Oceans on sale for 200$ which looks decent too...

@Johanan

While we're on it. Sunto Zoop vs Vyper, what is the real practical advantage from one to the other ? Any other similar computers I should consider above these ?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input !

@Randini Could you let me know where you picked up the XP10 for that low price ? All I've seen is quite a bit more than the Zoop and considering I'll be sharing the ridiculously expensive PC interface with my wife's computer, I'd only have to buy a single cable.

@Diverjen Damn you all with the DSS recommendations hehe... you really are starting to convince me. I'll probably have a word with Tobin just to figure out how much all of it would come up to.

. I'll probably have a word with Tobin just to figure out how much all of it would come up to.

A complete DSS rig would cost 460$ + freight. Weightplates (not necessary but useful) around 100 bucks more.

For regs, I'd think about the Scuba Pro MK17 first stage and S600 second stage or maybe G260 second stage (it is new so I don't have much to evaluate it with). You could go with the HOG D1 or D2 Cold water first stage and second stage. Tobin at Deep Sea supply is hard to beat on a BP/W. Other BP/w options are Oxycheq ( Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! ). I have their wings and am happy with their quality. I'm a convert to BP/W diving and haven't looked back. For a computer, Maybe the Manta by Aeris is a simple solution unless the eyes are bad :). Then you might want one with larger numerals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom