Help a newbie: BCD + Reg for warm/cold waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Mares MV octo,its a waste of money. I bought one for an octo as it came with a package and never liked anything about it. It is also a warm water only.
Get an Apeks XTX40 octo and you will not regret it.

While i also recommend the BPW set up I know that you can order the Express Tech with a 35lb wing at no extra cost. Just have the shop order it that way for you. I'd recommend going with Captain Gene at Zeagle Express for that. The 35 will handle any single tank cold water needs. I have one on mine and use it with LP steel 95's.

Once again, a huge thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!

Reg is in the mail, we should have our XTX next week! Did I mention I can't wait ? :wink:

Computer besides being Nitrox ready and functional I don't think I need anything fancier for quite some time. No need for large display, PC connectivity is a must though.

Octo I'm still stuck on keeping it cheap and simple, if the Mares is crap I'll skip it for sure but I'm assuming there has to be a middle ground between that and the XTX40 ?

BC well all I know is this so far:

- I prefer a back inflation wing style BC
- Light and minimalist is good
- Decent lift (34+)
- I hated the weight belt I dove with and am hoping for a form of integrated weights
- Price limit 450$ and that's pushing it.

I've seen recommendations for a Zeagle Tech Express with the 35 bladder which would be great but I haven't found a place to order it from in that form (including zeagle express) besides a place asking +60$ for the larger bladder and then + 60$ for weight pockets + $$ for padding etc.. in the end it went from cheap to close to max budget. This is really the only component I am struggling with.

I'm 6'2+, 230lbs, I'd say average back length....

Been happy with my Suunto zoop, basic computer but does nitrox and pc downloadable with a cable that apparently is made out of gold???

Are you opposed to buying used? I recently picked up my Suunto Zoop from these forums for $105 shipped to my door and it is already in a DSS bungie mount. Could maybe use a new screen guard but that is like 15 bucks er so.

As far as a BC goes I dive a Zeagle Ranger and I really like it. It is nice to have integrated weight pockets that I can drop any ole thing in (I don't do this but I could use rocks if the situation called for it). I got this used as well for $125 bucks local and it is in great shape, I recently took it to Mexico diving and it was a bit of a bugger to pack but it was fine. I do a lot of reading here on SB and other spots on the net, and the BP/W convo is one that will be in pretty much every "what BC should I get" thread here on SB.

I am happy with my ranger short of pack ability but dive mostly cold water here in Utah. However if / when I replace my BC I will be seriously considering a BPW from tobin or the express tech with the zip weight system bolted on.

Good luck.
kg.

hmm alright so clearly no padding, that's great. Still can't find a place that sells it with the larger bladder though and the zip pocket system is an extra 100$ it seems, yikes. Edit: Scratch that, LPs price, even for the Delux is absurdly low right now - including a weight system... but with the standard 24lbs bladder... damn, that would have been a great deal with the 35.

Absolutely not opposed to buying used, esp for a dive computer but locally, there isn't much going on. The zoop seems like a great buy.

For Octos, I've also seen the Sherwood Standard and OMS on LP for 80$. Both Nitrox and cold water "ready", the Sherwood being legendary for its easy maintenance and the OMS even Oxy ready. Thoughts on those 2 ?

Last edited:
@Randini Could you let me know where you picked up the XP10 for that low price ? All I've seen is quite a bit more than the Zoop and considering I'll be sharing the ridiculously expensive PC interface with my wife's computer, I'd only have to buy a single cable.
scuba.com. It was one of their red "you pay" sale prices last september-ish. I just checked and it's no longer that price.

Sometimes leisurepro has the express tech on ebay (new) with the 35 # bladder for cheap, I haven't figured out yet why they are cheaper sometimes, but here is an example of a completed listing Zeagle Express Tech BCD 35lb Bladder | eBay

It might be worth reaching out direct to leisurepro @ 800-637-6880 and seeing what kind of options they have for the 35# bladder version.

Thanks for the tip, I was planning on contacting LP for the 35 bladder but their prices jumped within the span of the night !? The TechExpress Dlx with Ripcord and Stiletto both doubled up in price over night. and I here I thought I was done shopping. I'm confused...

Forget the ET deluxe. Get the basic model with the zip touch if you have to have integrated weights. The ripcord dumps all your weight when you pull it. The zip touch can be done individually. Rarely is dumping all your weights required. At most, if set up correctly, you should only need to get rid of a couple/few pounds to get and stay positive. If more than that you are likely overweighted. Also remember that since the bc has no inherent buoyancy you won't need as much lead to begin with. It's why I only dive a belt or have weights bolted to my plate. Weight belt is not a hassle. And it makes gearing up easier since the bc doesn't weigh as much as it would with an extra 10-12 lbs of lead in it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom