Help a newbie: BCD + Reg for warm/cold waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget the ET deluxe. Get the basic model with the zip touch if you have to have integrated weights. The ripcord dumps all your weight when you pull it. The zip touch can be done individually. Rarely is dumping all your weights required. At most, if set up correctly, you should only need to get rid of a couple/few pounds to get and stay positive. If more than that you are likely overweighted. Also remember that since the bc has no inherent buoyancy you won't need as much lead to begin with. It's why I only dive a belt or have weights bolted to my plate. Weight belt is not a hassle. And it makes gearing up easier since the bc doesn't weigh as much as it would with an extra 10-12 lbs of lead in it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I wasn't really looking for the Dlx and actually preferred the zip over ripcord but LP had it for 270$ last night (with the 24lbs)! I also like the fact that the Tech Express is one size fits "most", a great point to consider when ordering online. My ideal then, would be to grab 2 Tech no frill + zip touch and 35lbs bladder at a decent price. Now.. to find this hmmm.

I will order the Octos tonight and I am still hesitating between the OMS and the sherwood (both being the same price with similar characteristics). Little to no info on the OMS which seems like a sturdier piece of equipment on the surface..hmmm

Its best to develop a connection with your local LDS and take advance of the great things they offer like club like outings classes and alike. all gear is good, have it fitted to you by your dive pro the most important thing is it fits well and that you are out there and having fun and diving. spending a little more locally will get you a lot more

Might be worth calling LP and see what they can do for you since you are buying two at once. Maybe mention the deal you saw and say if they can offer that you will take two!

---------- Post added March 7th, 2013 at 03:42 PM ----------

If you want to go LDS, it can never hurt to tell them the deal you saw, and say you want to buy 2 and see what they can do for you. If they are jerks about it, then maybe find a new LDS. The ZET is pretty adjustable so you don't have to worry about that so much.

I thought Zeagle also sold direct?

No, they sell through their dealers as far as I know. I just happen to know three of them. Two locally and frankly I'd buy from either and have done so and referred local people to them. On SB I try to support the guys who have worked with me and dealt fairly with me on things I have needed. That's why I recommend Capt. Gene and
Zeagle Express is the most complete source for everything Zeagle Systems makes

for anything Zeagle. I have spoken with him personally and will vouch for him. Just as an aside, when dealing with on line retailers (including myself) call if you have a question about a price. There are times when picking up the phone is still the best option.

I did have a talk with LP (and a chat for that matter) and found they were very helpful. It seems it is "impossible" for them to have the 35lbs ExpressTech, that's a bummer. As far as the sales price I was surprised to learn they run "flash" sales randomly at random hours without any advertisement (odd!). They did bring up the interestingly similar albeit much more expensive Hollis Ride BC with 37 bladder.

As far as LDS goes, we surprisingly have quite a few locally. Unfortunately I haven't had great experiences so far, albeit very limited. There is one that just moved to a new location that definitely looks like a nice place to visit but I haven't had the opportunity yet. Regardless how nice they could be it remains that the prices are atrocious locally - often 2x what they are in most places online. As much as I want to encourage local stores and build up a relationship with the local guys I just can't ignore that huge difference. Willing to pay a premium, yes but the difference is staggering.

I browsed Capt Gene but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I'll PM him.

Just noticed you're in Canada. Didn't see that before. I have a bunch of Canadian customers. Had one couple come down from the Niagra region to pick up their BPW's and regs. Seeing as they did that I arranged for pool time to take them in the water to get them fitted and let them try their new gear. Also showed em some rescue skills in the BPW's that they were not aware of. All included in the price. Had a blast.

Just noticed you're in Canada. Didn't see that before. I have a bunch of Canadian customers. Had one couple come down from the Niagra region to pick up their BPW's and regs. Seeing as they did that I arranged for pool time to take them in the water to get them fitted and let them try their new gear. Also showed em some rescue skills in the BPW's that they were not aware of. All included in the price. Had a blast.

I wish I lived by Jim - I hope to one day meet you, maybe take a class and buy some gear!

! You absolutely rock Jim, if we ever happen to travel down south we'll make sure to stop by - those kind of "stories" are what distinguishes great from good :)

hoo-ray best way to go fit and wt balanced in the pool cant get better everybody should do that

1h30AM and I'm heading to bed... why? Well LP had their mysterious flash sale back again at around midnight... ended up getting the Zeagle Stilettos with ripcord (didnt have the touch zip) for a pretty stunning price.

Also got our computers! Aeris A300 Wrist mounted at what I also think is a great price. No usb cable though because we couldn't figure out which one would have worked - terrible lack of info from Aeris on this one..

All we are missing now are the thicker wetsuits and some water (above freezing temps ideally)..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom