Helmets for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi

I recently had an accident at home slipping and falling on the back of my head after stepping on a wet tiled floor that had just be cleaned with floor cleaner. There was some bruising and some minor bleeding in the skull but after more tests, all seems okey though my doctor has recommended me to use a helmet to protect my skull from any future knocks especially in the outdoors for the next few months including during dives.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good helmet (Pro-Tec?) that comes with holders for lights to attach a pair of dive lights for night dives?

Another question: do the sponges in the helmets deteriorate over time from the salt water or do they last and if they do start to fall apart, is it easy to get replacements?

Thanks for any input and advice.

Light Monkey make a helmet designed for scuba diving. For me I dive with a neoprene beenie and their helmet. Good protection in the cave environment. Is your doctor suggesting you need protection underwater? Or on land also?

Light Monkey make a helmet designed for scuba diving. For me I dive with a neoprene beenie and their helmet. Good protection in the cave environment. Is your doctor suggesting you need protection underwater? Or on land also?

i am using a mt bike helmet for the short term walking around in public for 3 months as a precaution

I'd check with a physician who is trained in diving medicine first helmet or not. My own inclination will be not to dive as long as there are required precautions to take while diving to protect the skull and requiring a helmet. These precaution mean to me that I am not good to go diving.

See a physician who is trained or knows about diving to approve your diving first!!

Last edited:
Ask the doctor if you are cleared for diving before going any further. Second call DAN and ask them. If they both say you are good to dive, there are dive helmets. Check places like Dive Gear Express.

Regular helmets are light and float, not designed for underwater use.

Back
Top Bottom