Helmet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever used a Diving Helmet or FFM? If so, what type? If not, would you be interested in trying one?

List any Helmet or FFM that you've tried or owned. How do you rate the helmets/masks you've tried? Please insert pics (from any website, so we can identify it).

I've tried a number of them, but love my Kirby Morgan 17B with an Ultrajewel (helium reclamation).

I don't own one, but my favorite is the Miller 400
ablkhat.jpg
it is buoyancy adjustable and the head harness is superior to the Kirby Morgan system.

I own and dive a Kirby Morgan Superlite 17K
KM37_lg.jpg
I really like the ability to change out my comms fast to match the system on the job. The cam in neck dam is a good advancement over the old toilet seat.

I have used:
- Swindel
langley_ade&m.jpg

- Kirby Morgan Superlite 17B
Superlite2_002.JPG

I also own for scuba a Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask
m48.jpg
best FFM for recreational scuba available.

and I once owned a Kirby Morgan KMB-9 band mask
KMB_9.gif

I have used:
- AGA
agasm2.jpg
Don't like, to buoyant, nose clear device sucks and it is a large CO2 void.
- KMB-18
18-28bandmask_2.jpg
Ok for surface supplied diving, don't use for welding or burning, not a scuba friendly mask.

The only diving system I have not used yet is the U.S.N. MK-V. I would like to just try it out once.
MkV%20375f.jpg

I don't own one, but my favorite is the Miller 400; it is buoyancy adjustable and the head harness is superior to the Kirby Morgan system.

Nice Helmet, but the visibility is less than the KM 17.

I own and dive a Kirby Morgan Superlite 17K. I really like the ability to change out my comms fast to match the system on the job. The cam in neck dam is a good advancement over the old toilet seat.

Excellent Helmet! Too bad it isn't compatible with the Ultrajewel. :wink:

I also own for scuba a Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask best FFM for recreational scuba available.

I had one myself and agree it's an excellent match for OC or CCR.

The only diving system I have not used yet is the U.S.N. MK-V. I would like to just try it out once.

I'll pass on the dozen bolts and the 300 pounds of closed-dress and helmet. It's not a pleasant experience, especially on a rolling deck. I struggled to even get over to the diving platform. You want me to do what? :shocked2:

To be young again... :)

I’ve only used the AGA. I would definitely be willing to try a helmet/other ffm and, like Trace, to be properly trained/certified in them.

Nice Helmet, but the visibility is less than the KM 17.

Humm, never really noticed. I also like the fact that most of the parts are available at teh local Ace Hardware store. Makes for quick & cheap rebuilds. :D

Excellent Helmet! Too bad it isn't compatible with the Ultrajewel. :wink:

For all the diving I do/have done in the air range (0' to 100') an Ultrajewel is overkill. But a nice regulator. By the way, we should discuss the use of Superflows 350's, Rex and Ultrajewel regulators with higher O2% mixes. Kirby Morgan does not reccomend their products for higher O2 concentrations (like 50% Nitrox) yet they are used for mixed gas bounce dives and the U.S.N. Std. Dive Tables with O2 on ascent (reference Revision 6).

I had one myself and agree it's an excellent match for OC or CCR.

Yep, I will probably mate it up to the KISS rebreather I am thinking of buying. I don't think I will get the NATO pdo though. Too hard to come by and the KISS mouth piece should plug right into the regular pod. :eyebrow:

I'll pass on the dozen bolts and the 300 pounds of closed-dress and helmet. It's not a pleasant experience, especially on a rolling deck. I struggled to even get over to the diving platform. You want me to do what? :shocked2:

To be young again... :)

I was thinking one familurization dive either in the training tanks at the College of Racketeering or off a dock at a quiet lake. No working dives for me in that monstrosity.

For all the diving I do/have done in the air range (0' to 100') an Ultrajewel is overkill. But a nice regulator. By the way, we should discuss the use of Superflows 350's, Rex and Ultrajewel regulators with higher O2% mixes. Kirby Morgan does not reccomend their products for higher O2 concentrations (like 50% Nitrox) yet they are used for mixed gas bounce dives and the U.S.N. Std. Dive Tables with O2 on ascent (reference Revision 6).

It's ok as long as you clean for O2 above 50%. I believe the service manual specifies Cristo Lube to be used in the bleed/relief valve. It's been a long time since I've had to think about this, so I'm a bit foggy. For a long time now all my helmet decompression dives have been in a chamber. LOL :wink:

AGA
KMB
Mark V
Miller #2 Shallow water

A KMB with surface com and a Broko tourch makes for quick work getting a porthole or prop some times.

These have been around for a long time. Cressi and Poseidon made them before IST did a copy I believe.

U S Divers had a version that could be used with either a double hose or single hose regulator.

Deep Sea/Heavy Gear/Hard Hat:
• US Navy Mark V
• Seibe Gorman,
• Kirby Morgan

"Modern" Hats:
• Kirby Morgan/ Diving Systems International Clam-Shell & Superlites
• Navy Mark 12
• Savoie
• Miller
• Desco pot
• Sat Hat,
• Aquadyne
• Swindell
• Rat Hat
• La Spirothechnique
• lots of home-mades and prototypes.

Full Face:
• Kirby Morgan/Diving Systems International/US Divers Band Masks
• Normalair
• AGA
• Jack Brown
• Aquadyne
• La Spirothechnique drysuit/deathwish.

Most are shown on this site:

Modern helmet and mask collection

You mention the Savioe rat hat, Joe Savoie lived a few miles from me. He was probably the first one to make a lightweight helmet. Here is some history about him.

Joe Savoie

You now know deep inside, that you really should have taken that commercial diving course...

Don't worry Trace, you're still in the flower of your youth! You've got lots of time. :wink:

Well if Brett Favre could get into the post season at 40, maybe I can get learn to stand on the bottom and not be in pretty trim at 41?

PM me if you have any ideas for the best way to go for the training, if I'm just looking to go through school/training as an enrichment experience and not to pursue a serious career. I'd make a poor mechanic. I'm better at smiling and profiling. :D

Well if Brett Favre could get into the post season at 40, maybe I can get learn to stand on the bottom and not be in pretty trim at 41?

Unquestionably.

PM me if you have any ideas for the best way to go for the training, if I'm just looking to go through school/training as an enrichment experience and not to pursue a serious career. I'd make a poor mechanic. I'm better at smiling and profiling. :D

PM sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom